1st Stroll with the A7S

Discussion in 'Sony Alpha E-Mount Cameras' started by LoFi, Jul 15, 2014.

1. LoFi

LoFi TalkEmount Regular

Nov 16, 2013
    Eliot
    • Like Like x 10
  2. Rollin

Rollin TalkEmount Regular

Jul 2, 2014
    Cedar Rapids, Iowa
    I'm thinking of pulling the triger on one too - what are your thoughts on the A7S?

3. NickCyprus

NickCyprus Super Moderator

Oct 11, 2012
    Cyprus
    Nick
    Nice shots! I really like the B&W tone and post processing applied on #1 and #2 :thumbup:

4. bmg123

bmg123 TalkEmount Veteran

Jan 15, 2013
    England, UK
    This camera looks great...think I might have to finally upgrade from the NEX-7. (I say finally but I've only had it a year...)

5. LoFi

LoFi TalkEmount Regular

Nov 16, 2013
    Eliot
    i thought the control dials would drive me NUTS, as they didnt feel as good as the ones on the oly em1 that i ended up buying back when the a7 came out in place of the a7, but theyre fie
    someone on dpr forums just did a test between all a7's and the nikon df for high iso, and did some ev pushing to get matching levels for tests at some points. and all 4 cameras, when downsampled to an 8mp file size, were very similar up to iso 25,600. the df came out similar to the at7s up to 51,2 or 102,40,, i forget which. but then the a7s was better. however... i dislike having HUGE files, and id NEVER downsample them all to an equvalent a7s file size in order to save space. my rx1 drove me nuts with how huge the files were, so im very happy to have a built in size limiter and auto downsampler in the a7s ;) however, if noise is yer only concern at high iso, and you dont mind the issues associated with having tons of large files on yer computer, then id save some cash and get the standard a7. and just realize that at 100%, the files wont look as good, but when you downsample, itll be so dang close youll laugh at me for paying more for getting an a7s. i highly suggest going and glancing at that guys post yourselves to see what YOU think of the results. im sticking to my "thank god the files are small!" obsession, and im good with that! but budget wise.. a7!

oh thanks! they started out as color presets of mine, but then i wanted to see how theyd look in monochrome, so i just chunked the sat slider down and liked the results, so kept em that way! thanks again!

lol. i dont think ive made it a full year without a new camera since i got my oly ep3. i had my old e-30 dslr for a couple years before getting something new, but thats because i hated how huge that thing was and just quit taking photographs, so that doesnt really count, lol!

• Like Like x 1
  6. NickCyprus

NickCyprus Super Moderator

Oct 11, 2012
    Cyprus
    Nick

Thank you very much for the info shared ;)

• Like Like x 1