1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

1mm Equals How Many Feet In Width?

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by RT_Panther, Jul 27, 2013.

1. RT_Panther

RT_Panther TalkEmount Veteran

Aug 9, 2011
    Just curious...the 3mm difference between the 16mm SEL and 19mm Sigma equals approx. how many feet :confused:
    Tks....

2. Poki

Poki TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Aug 30, 2011
    Austria
    You can't say that like ... well, like that. First, it's a big difference if you go from 10 to 11 mm (10% FOV change) or from 100 to 101mm (1% FOV change). Second, longer focal length lenses compress the background much more, so you never will be able to get exactly the same picture with a 19mm lens than you get with a 16mm lens. Third, backing up further or going closer isn't always possible. So there's a lot more to a focal length than just 'how many feet I have to go to get the same FOV'. ;)

3. stratokaster

stratokaster TalkEmount Regular

Aug 27, 2011
    It depends on many factors, including the distance to your subject. It probably makes more sense to talk about the difference in angle of view.

4. RT_Panther

RT_Panther TalkEmount Veteran

Aug 9, 2011
    LoL okay tks folks! :p

5. davect01

davect01 Super Moderator

Aug 20, 2011
    Fountain Hills, AZ
    Dave
    I had the 16mm and currently own the 19mm. In reality as far as what you shot there is very little difference in how close you can get.

The attraction of the 16mm is the attachments Sony offers. However since I don't use/want either attachment, the superior IQ more than made up my mind in keeping the 19mm and selliing the 16mm.

6. stratokaster

stratokaster TalkEmount Regular

Aug 27, 2011
    You can use Panasonic DMW-LW46 on Sigma 19mm to turn it into a 21mm equivalent lens.