1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

18-200 or 18-200LE

Discussion in 'Sony Alpha E-Mount Lenses' started by mmutlu, Feb 15, 2014.

1. mmutlu

mmutlu New to TalkEmount

Feb 15, 2014
    Hi, what will be your choise on these lenses the old and fat but experienced 18-200 or the new slimmer, lighter but not so experienced LE model? Did anybody have the chance to test or compare both?

Sent from my Discovery using Tapatalk

2. Tabibito

Tabibito TalkEmount Regular

Apr 1, 2013
    Here's some comparison from Sony Alpha Lab.

sonyalphalab.com/product-review/sony-18-200mm-f3-5-6-3-oss-lens-sel18200le-hands-on-review/

Sent from my LG-E440 using TalkEmount mobile app

3. Poki

Poki TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Aug 30, 2011
    Austria
    For photos, the LE version (or the Tamron 18-200 - it's EXACTLY the same lens, Sony rebranded it) - it focuses faster and is a bit sharper.

For video, the old, big one. Much better OSS in video and smoother to focus and zoom.

4. gmutt26

gmutt26 TalkEmount Regular

May 14, 2013
    Ok I have the silver 18200 not the le black on. The new auto focus is not available on the black one and image quality is much better on the silver. Also the silver has a much better build quality. Hope this helps.

5. Poki

Aug 30, 2011
    Austria
    Not true. Image quality is not better at the old lens, especially not at the long end. Also, build quality is not better - in fact, the old lens has a severe zoom creep problem whereas the new one does not. The new LE version is also available in silver btw. (at least from Tamron) and it's a very good lens for a lens in the super zoom class.

Kurt Munger says they're about even in quality, although the Tamron version is smaller, lighter and significantly cheaper. http://kurtmunger.com/tamron_nex_18_200mm_f_3_5_6_3id317.html

6. mmutlu

mmutlu New to TalkEmount

Feb 15, 2014
  7. Poki

Aug 30, 2011
    Austria
    He doesn't even say in which areas the older one is supposedly better, doesn't sound like this guy knows what he talks about. The rest of the video is just talking about using the lens for video - active steady shot, less stiff zoom ring, ... - and I already said for video use, the older one is better.

From the Tamron 18-200 to the Sony (old version) is a €200 price difference, and the cheaper Tamron lens is smaller, lighter, has a slightly better image quality and no zoom creep. Of course what the additional size, wight and money buys you with the old version is the optimization for video. After all, that lens was the kit lens for the NEX-VG line for quite some time.

8. Tabibito

Tabibito TalkEmount Regular

Apr 1, 2013
    If anything the older one has advantage in its active OSS and build quality, but it is heavier than the LE version. Image quality should roughly be the same.

Sent from my LG-E440 using TalkEmount mobile app

9. Poki

Aug 30, 2011
    Austria
    Yep, but active OSS is deactivated in photo mode and the build quality is hardly better with the zoom creep.

10. quezra

quezra TalkEmount Top Veteran

Aug 22, 2012
    I don't know which is better, but the 18-200 LE I have has never disappointed me. It is a superzoom... not perfect, but good at what it does. I almost never travel without it.

I would however, recommend the original 18-200 over it not for IQ reasons, but because it seems PDAF works better with it than the LE.

11. gmutt26

gmutt26 TalkEmount Regular

May 14, 2013
    You say you don't agree with me but the black one will not support phase detection auto focus! The old silver one will! The lens creep is not an problem as you have a lock button. I have had this lens with the nex6 now for over a year and the image quality is awesome. Auto focus is super quick after the update to phase detection. Pick what one u like but I bet most people would say old one! Why would you spend the same amount of money on a tameron lens???

12. Poki

Aug 30, 2011
    Austria
    PDAF doesn't make a big difference, especially not for a slow focusing superzoom lens. Lock button only works at 18mm, so doesn't eliminate the lens creep. IQ is okay for a superzoom lens, but the LE version is no worse.

The Tamron lens is the same as the Sony LE one and its much cheaper than the older Sony one. Cheaper, lighter, smaller, no zoom creep and comparable IQ is a winner in my book.

13. lowbone

lowbone TalkEmount Regular

Oct 21, 2012
    I had them both for a while. There could be a difference in the individual copy of a lens but in my case the sel18-200 was the better lens. It does have a little bit of zoom creep, nothing serious but there is a zoom lock and to my eye appeared to be better built. I didn't really notice any difference in focusing speed and in my case the sel 18-200 (silver lens) was sharper on the long end. I wound up selling the LE. The difference between the two lenses was not great at all and you really had to look hard for which one had the edge.

• Like Like x 1