1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

16mm-50mm Kit lens vs 16mm F2.8 pancake

Discussion in 'Sony Alpha E-Mount Lenses' started by silvetti, Aug 26, 2013.

1. silvetti

silvetti New to TalkEmount

Aug 26, 2013
    Hey guys,

Newbie here, so if my questions is stupid don't kill me.
    Tried googling this but still not quite sure.

The PZ kit lense 16-50 has on the 16mm option a 83 degree angle, the 16mm F2.8 pancake has the same angle (on the specs).

Does this mean that it would take more or less the same photos ? I mean in terms of wideness (not image quality).

2. lowbone

lowbone TalkEmount Regular

Oct 21, 2012
    If I understand your question the answer is yes. 16mm is 16mm whether it is on a zoom or a fixed lens

3. silvetti

Aug 26, 2013
    So with each of them I can take the same wide-angle photos ?

4. xXx1

xXx1 TalkEmount All-Pro

Jan 15, 2013
    Yes. They even have same maximum aperture.

5. silvetti

Aug 26, 2013
    Thank you for the clarification :)

6. shaolin95

shaolin95 TalkEmount Top Veteran

Jul 3, 2013
    The 1650 is F3.5 the SEL16F28 is 2.8 :)

I love the SEL16 but only when using it with the UWA and Fisheye...just an awesome combo and cheap too. It creates very interesting perspectives and compositions for me.

7. Fiddler

Fiddler TalkEmount Regular

Mar 8, 2012
    Edinburgh
    Colin
    I just got hold of the UWA, and it's better than I expected and fun to use.

Attached Files:

• UWA.
      UWA.jpg
      File size:
      110.9 KB
      Views:
  8. shaolin95

shaolin95 TalkEmount Top Veteran

Jul 3, 2013
    Yes indeed. I got the Fisheye not thinking I would use it much but it is also awesome. Just a superb addition to my collection and I highly recommend them. :)

Yeah that is the type of shot I love with this thing.

9. Fiddler

Fiddler TalkEmount Regular

Mar 8, 2012
    Edinburgh
    Colin
    Yeah, I'm looking for the Fisheye now!

10. slothead

slothead TalkEmount Top Veteran

Mar 1, 2015
    Maryland
    Tom
    I have the 16-50 kit lens and the 16/2.8 fixed lens also (I had the 20/2.8 but am returning that to B&H). I am using these with my a5100. Theoretically the two (16-50 vs 16/2.8) should have the same characteristics, but they are not identical optically, so the real proof is in the curves (which I have not looked at). Generally speaking when a device has a range of operation, that range is typically weaker at the two extreme - which would imply that the 16 fixed is probably better than the 16-50. I don't have enough experience with either of them to know for sure which works better. And by the way, notice that the fixed 16 is not an OSS lens like the 16-50 is.

What I can say (and what brought me to this thread via a search for the 16-50) is that my 16-50 is not working very well at all! Today, at least 3 or 4 times, the 16-50 had a hiccup in which it did not retract when the camera was switched off and the next time the camera was switched on an error was displayed that implied that the camera could not recognize the lens. This happened once a week or so ago too and I was able to correct the condition by pulling the battery. That did not help today however. In one case I had to switch lenses (with my 50/1.8) to get the 16-50 to work when reattached. I will probably be calling B&H tomorrow to see if there is any way I can return the lens alone for replacement (rather than returning the entire kit).

11. Amamba

Amamba TalkEmount All-Pro

Apr 13, 2013
    SE MI
    I have love-hate relationship with 16+UWA, sometimes it creates great shots and sometimes the corners are mushy with no apparent reason why (good lighting).

I may give in and get Rokinon as I love the 12mm FOV, but since a lot of my shots are on the fly I really want the AF.

However in good light it is very sharp in center and can make an excellent portrait lens with that special WA feel.

I assume that 16-50 will not be as good at 16mm simply because zoom lenses are typically the worst at their extreme ends. But I may be wrong.

12. slothead

slothead TalkEmount Top Veteran

Mar 1, 2015
    Maryland
    Tom
    My 16-50 really started acting badly this past week and I wrote to B&H to see if I could exchange just the lens (from a kit obviously). They wrote back that they could not but included the prepaid RMA for the entire kit. So I will send the kit back and hope the new 5100 I get with it is as good as the one I got originally. On the down side it won't do me any good to send it immediately as they (B&H) are in the middle of Passover and probably wpn't do anything with it until they return to work.