• Welcome to TalkEmount.com, the best Sony E-mount camera and photography community on the web.
    Click here to join for free and enjoy unlimited photo uploads in our forums.

16-50mm pancake just a little bigger than 16mm pancake.

Dioptrick

TalkEmount All-Pro
Power zoom? I'll take a pass.

I hear ya... "power-zoom" somehow doesn't quite fit with the ethos that made the NEX the enthusiast's choice that it is today. I believe that one of the main reasons for this is because the NEX has brought back tremendous satisfaction by re-engaging the photographer to the sense of touch (tactility) with decision making... especially in MF modes.

Adding battery-sapping automation to something so easily done by simply rotating a barrel will add an alienating effect to some degree. Kinda makes me think that Sony might just be recycling the innards of one of their compact cameras. I could be wrong, but it might transform the 'feel' of the venerable "ala-rangefinder NEX" into a generic "ala-compact NEX"... is the enthusiast market really that fascinated with total automation?

Unless of course this is Sony's goal, to make the NEX more universally appealing to a larger slice of the market. Can't see why though, Sony's Cyber-shot compact line-up is already more than capable of doing that...

Bugleone

TalkEmount Veteran
The 'power zoom' feature is probably the only way to keep it still a pancake since it can be much smaller than a zoom ring......

Bimjo

Super Moderator
Real Name
Jim
The 'power zoom' feature is probably the only way to keep it still a pancake since it can be much smaller than a zoom ring......

I have no doubt that's true, just as I have no doubt they will sell a ton of them. Just not to me. :)

freddytto

TalkEmount All-Pro
sounds interesting, it the time, we got more E-mount lenses , Sony is making now, more cameras than lenses, what is happening?

West

New to TalkEmount
I will probably get it over the 35mm just for the greater angle of view, which should make it a more attractive street lens.

IMast

New to TalkEmount
Came with my new nex6 as a kit here in uk. Good results so far. There is a power zoom control on left side of lens and also a zoom ring on the front as well. Turn slowly for precise zooming or quickly to move from wide to tele. Evf and screen also show what focal length the lens is at. All in all I like it a lot as it makes a good travel kit for me with this and 55-210 zoom.

gio

TalkEmount Veteran
you can zoom it by twisting the barrel ,but it's still a power zoom when you do. it does give a bit more control with practice

Latest threads

Top Bottom