16-35/4 AND - OR the new 28/2

Discussion in 'Sony Alpha E-Mount Lenses' started by TedG954, Apr 30, 2015.

1. TedG954

TedG954 TalkEmount All-Pro

Nov 29, 2014
    South Florida and NE Ohio
    Ted Gersdorf
    Is any current owner of the 16-35/4 planning on getting the new FE 28/2?

The 28 appears to produce better quality than the 16-35, but is the difference going to be worth buying another lens right in the middle of 16-35 range?
  2. WoodWorks

WoodWorks Super Moderator

Dec 12, 2012
    Ashland, OR, USA
    Not me. But then I'm not a big fan of constantly swapping lenses.
    • Informative Informative x 1
  3. WestOkid

WestOkid TalkEmount All-Pro

Jan 25, 2014
    New Jersey, USA
    The epitome of overlap.
    There will be close to zero times when the difference in quality will be so noticeable that I would wish I had the prime over the zoom. There will be countless times where I can get the shot with the zoom (≠28) I couldn't get with the prime.
    • Like Like x 1
  4. Lisandra

Lisandra TalkEmount Veteran

Jan 28, 2015
    Big zoomie here but... 2 stops is a lot of light

So the best thing here would be to go over your 16-35 shots and looking at the ones taken in the 25-30 range and ask yourself:
    Would i have liked to have a faster shutter speed or a cleaner ahot on these??
    • Like Like x 2
  5. Hawkman

Hawkman TalkEmount Top Veteran

Sep 10, 2013
    Virginia, USA
    Not directly an answer to the question, but... I've always felt (since it was announced) that the FE 28/2 would be a great first FE lens for someone moving up from an APS-C E-mount to an FE body. 28 seems like a very useable focal length on both FF & APS-C... different on each, but useful on both. And if the new DXO results pan out, it's looking to me like one of the better values in the E/FE lineup.
    • Agree Agree x 2
  6. Nexnut

Nexnut TalkEmount Top Veteran

May 3, 2012
    somewhere betwixt here and now
    I still don't feel the need to move 'up' to an A7r since the NEX-7 basically covers all my current needs but as it looks now this lens will be the first one I'll get. On the NEX it'd be too close to my excellent and smaller 30mm Sigma to call it a worthwile purchase.
  7. storyteller

storyteller TalkEmount Veteran

Sep 25, 2011
    I wouldn't get BOTH but I'll probably get the FE28 at some point. The zoom, while very nice and probably more useable, is 3X more expensive. I also prefer shooting with primes and tend not to wider than 28mm. I have to force myself to use zoom lenses unless I'm shooting some kind of event where I don't know what to expect (something I try to avoid for many non-lens related reasons).

If you like zooms and you can afford the 16-35 then I'd get that. If not the FE28mm seems like a great value.