1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

< $150 Speed Booster Alternative from Zhongyi/Mitakon

Discussion in 'Sony Alpha E-Mount News and Rumors' started by eno789, Apr 20, 2013.

1. eno789

eno789 TalkEmount Top Veteran

Jan 1, 2012
    NoCal, USA
    Brian
  2. Bimjo

Bimjo Super Moderator

Oct 28, 2011
    Washington State
    Jim
    This could get entertaining. If the IQ is up there anybody who wanted the Metabones for a MF lens will jump on this instead.

3. eno789

eno789 TalkEmount Top Veteran

Jan 1, 2012
    NoCal, USA
    Brian
    The price in Chinese RMB is 850, which converts to about $110.

But just saw on the rumor site, they've updated the US price to be $239. This is pretty high.

4. addieleman

addieleman Passionate amateur

Nov 13, 2012
    Netherlands
    Ad Dieleman
    The big question of course is if the image quality is on par with the Metabones adapter, which apparently is very good. If so, it's a no-brainer for someone like me with a lot of Minolta SR-mount legacy glass.

5. Poki

Poki TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Aug 30, 2011
    Austria
    For 239 USD, it better be as good as the Speedbooster. But 'Lens Turbo' admittedly is a nice name. ;)

6. storyteller

storyteller TalkEmount Veteran

Sep 25, 2011
    For $110 I might be tempted. $200+ I'll probably hold off. For now.

7. quezra

quezra TalkEmount Top Veteran

Aug 22, 2012
    This looks pretty interesting, but one thing I've learnt about cheap adapters with lenses is that vignetting can be a major issue. The fact it has a cheap made-in-china price and marked up export price is a little disconcerting. And we've now all been spoiled by the fact Sigma can put some fabulous glass into a $99 package I just can't see myself shelling out for these things until they come down a lot.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

8. lenshoarder

lenshoarder TalkEmount Veteran

Feb 7, 2012
    I have no concerns about the price. This is undoubtedly the first of many knockoffs from China. It doesn't matter if they price it higher for the US market. Somebody in HK will buy it for the Chinese price and sell it on ebay for a small markup.

9. ChangshaNotes

ChangshaNotes Super Moderator

Aug 15, 2012
    China
    Colin
    When it comes out, I should be able to get my hands on it for the 850 RMB, well probably less.

The best thing about it is that may make the cost of the Metabones come down.

10. kaptnkain

kaptnkain TalkEmount Regular

Feb 4, 2013
    Ilya
    Thing is, the market for Focal reducers for the APS-C mirrorless systems isn't exactly huge. It's big enough that small companies such as Metabones can turn a profit with high prices, but way too small to attract any large companies. Sigma would have a very hard time turning all the effort associated with design and compatibility into profit in such a small market.

Expect to see this area dominated by boutique brands and cheap Chinese alternatives.

11. kaptnkain

Feb 4, 2013
    Ilya
  12. lenshoarder

Feb 7, 2012
    I'm thinking the ultimate price of these will settle into the $50-$80 range. The reason I think that is that focal reducers for telescopes sell for $50-$80.

13. xXx1

xXx1 TalkEmount All-Pro

Jan 15, 2013
    Ultimately price is determined by how much customers are prepared to pay. I think that manufacturing will be significantly more expensive than with telescope ones but there may be lots more sales so they may even out. If optical quality is good I am willing to pay about 120 USD but not much more.

14. lenshoarder

Feb 7, 2012
    Why do you think that the manufacturing will be more expensive than for the telescope ones? The main difference is putting it into a NEX adapter instead of a tube mount. The cost for both is about the same. NEX adapters are very cheap to make.

15. kaptnkain

Feb 4, 2013
    Ilya
    Thing is, there's a lot more compatibility verification needed for these reducers. In order to release this in a certain mount, the manufacturer *should* confirm compatibility with all lenses in that mount.

16. serhan

serhan TalkEmount All-Pro

Aug 27, 2011
    NYC
    These adapters are similar to the photo converters. For example, Canon 2x converter is $450 vs Tamron $254, etc. I bought cheap wide angle/zoom converters to my P&S when I started to digital photography and you can guess how many times I used them. Again good ones cost you more...

I used jinfinance's m43/nex adapters and they weren't the best quality... Hopefully someone will buy and test these.

17. lenshoarder

Feb 7, 2012
    I don't think they need to do that. I don't think even camera manufacturers do that. Does Pentax try every single PK lenses that's been made over the decades with every new camera it makes? I doubt it. If a lens is made to work with a mount, then it should work with the adapter. For a mount, every lens is made to focus at the same plane. As long as that's the case, a focal reducer should work as well for one lens as another. Some lenses may work better or worse due to what their coverage circle is to begin with, but that's not the focal reducer's problem. That's the lens.

18. kaptnkain

Feb 4, 2013
    Ilya
    Flange distances to the glass in the reducer are much less than to the mirror in an SLR. There may be clearance issues with rear focusing lenses.

19. xXx1

xXx1 TalkEmount All-Pro

Jan 15, 2013
    The same reason that camera lenses are more expensive than telescopes. Camera lenses are made with more complex optical formula and tolerances are very strict. telescopes can be of worse quality as human eye is focused to pretty small area at one time. Cameras are not as forgiving. Especially there are differencies with corner sharpness. I think that mechanical contruction is pretty cheap these days as lens adapters sell for 10 USD but lens grinding is still pretty expensive.

These focal length reducers must be of quite good quality to be of real use. I am afraid that some of these reducers are going to be just telescope reducers in lens adapter and not of good quality.

Optical design is easy these days but I doubt that small chinese manufacturer is up to it. They copy existing designs and results are probably not very good.

20. lenshoarder

Feb 7, 2012
    I was browsing the web for people that have built their own camera focal reducers using telescope focal reducer lenses. Turns out some people have years ago. When I found this site that already reviewed this cheap focal reducer a couple of weeks back. They have sample pictures. It's only a few blah pictures but for $110 it's definitely on my list.

½Ø·ù±äÈ«·ùµÄÉñ»°¡ª¡ªÖÐÒ»¼õ½¹»·¿ªÏäÊÔÓÃ(4) - É«Ó°ÎÞ¼É_È«Çò×î´óÖÐÎÄÓ°ÏñÉú»îÃÅ»§

The other big win for it is that it's small. It's about half the height of a normal PK to NEX adapter.