12 bit/ 14 bit raw files

Discussion in 'Image Processing' started by rayvonn, Feb 13, 2016.

1. rayvonn

rayvonn TalkEmount Regular

Jan 3, 2016
    Hi,

First post and am interested to hear the opinions from members here who shoot raw.

In real world practical terms, do you really find it a big deal whether a raw file is 12 or 14 bit? How much of a difference does it make in terms of being able to really hammer a raw file in LR/PS?

2. unlo

unlo Sony ******

Jan 19, 2014
    Ohio
    Matt
    I have the option after updating my mk2. I turned it on and forgot about it. If it means the potential for better quality images, that's 'nuff for me. I shoot a lot of low light and i tend to push my images in LR. Probably bc i'm a horrible photographer that doesn't understand exposure from a hole in the ground. YMMV

Sent from my Oneplus One using Tapatalk

• Like Like x 2
  3. Nexnut

Nexnut TalkEmount Top Veteran

It really depends on what you shoot and how you process your files. A good part of my photography is abstract and more often than not I tweak the .... out of those tones and I'm happy about every single bit in my RAWs. Unfortunately I can't use the NEX for those jobs since I'd run into banding/tonal separation pretty early in the process due to the lossy compression; shame, shame ...
    BTW, I had a discussion with someone else yesterday who mentioned that he brought his jpg processing to perfection. To each one his/her own :)

4. rayvonn

Jan 3, 2016
    Me too, that's probably why I asked the question - I need to be able to push the files as much as possible to cover my errors! If the difference between 12/14 raw files is visible and makes a difference, then it seems like a cheaper way of attaining 14 bit files (than getting an A7RII) would be to get a 6D/D610/750. But maybe it doesn't make any difference, I don't know. If there is little or no difference, the issue doesn't arise and I can proceed to get a first version A7R. That's why I asked.

5. rayvonn

Jan 3, 2016
    For the avoidance of doubt, you're referring to 12 bit files, right?

6. Nexnut

Nexnut TalkEmount Top Veteran

12 or 14 ... I just can't have enough bits sometimes. To me it's not about covering errors but pretty extreme tone tweaking for my experimental images.

Before I'd get the A7r I would google a bit, just to be on the safe side (lossy RAWs, shutter shock, ....) For my x stuff lossy RAWs simply don't cut it; that's what kept me from buying an A7ii. Anyway, since Sony has upgraded the FW for the A7ii I might get one sooner or later even though the NEX-7 still rocks when it comes to standard shots in good light.

• Informative Informative x 1
  7. nidza

nidza TalkEmount Regular

Nov 1, 2013
    Serbia
    A7ii has fantastic RAW files. It is the biggest difference comparing to their APS-C cameras. Lightroom doesn't have long enough sliders how potent the file is.

8. pdk42

pdk42 TalkEmount Regular

Nov 26, 2014
    Well, I'm not an expert here, but it does seem to me that the problems with the compressed raws are very, very subtle and restricted to some specific shooting situations. There are lots of top-rate photographers who don't see it as a problem.

• Agree Agree x 2
  9. nidza

nidza TalkEmount Regular

Nov 1, 2013
    Serbia
    Agreed, I don't see a problem as well.

I would prefer what I had on Nikon, Compressed + 14bit. Files are huge, 48Mb per photo. The point was, I had something in camera which was with me since autumn 2008, and now I get flagship Sony end of 2015. which doesn't have it. On well exposed photos and narrow DR, you will not get any advantage. Depends what you shoot. I love to push shadows, so I greet any more "meat" in the file I can get.

10. rayvonn

Jan 3, 2016
    Many thanks guys, this is just one of many things for me to think about before deciding whether to 'dive in', so all answers here are much appreciated.