• Welcome to TalkEmount.com, the best Sony E-mount camera and photography community on the web.
    Click here to join for free and enjoy unlimited photo uploads in our forums.

12/05/14 - 99% Full Moon / heavy overcast

roundball

TalkEmount Legend

12/05/14 - 99% Full Moon / heavy overcast - showed once, only got 1 marginal shot

Canon FDn 80-200/4.0 @ 200, Sony NEX-7, Daylight WB, Center Metering, Vivid, ISO200, F11, 1/125

Almost got the trees, 100 feet away.....and the Moon, 238,000 miles away.....In focus together.

Then the clouds closed up...will keep after this "Foliage Across The Moon" thing until I nail one

View attachment 53532

roundball

TalkEmount Legend
Just figured some things out using a DOF calculator.
Given the tree branches in the above photo were about 100' in front of me, my Moon shot camera set-up of ISO, F-stop, and shutter would not give me a DOF to infinity even using the relatively shorter 200mm lens.

Wanting to stay pretty close to my Moon shot camera set up, I'd have to drop all the way back to an 80mm focal length using foliage at 100' again...just as part of the learning curve I'll try that but suspect I'll either not capture enough detail or have to crop it up so much it'll be too noisy to use.

But to be able to stay with at least a 200mm lens like the above photo, the foliage needs to be 600' (2 football fields) away from me...so I'll have to get out of the neighborhood and find a field with a good treeline, or even better, a cove on a lake, etc.
( foot has to finish healing up before I can start those kinds of walks though...maybe for the January moon )

Latest threads

Top Bottom