100mm 1:2.8 Lens Advice: Pentax-M vs. Nikon Series E

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by FoodRep, Aug 15, 2013.

1. FoodRep

FoodRep New to TalkEmount

Jul 20, 2013
    Wondering if anyone has some thoughts on choosing between these two lenses: Pentax-M 100mm 1:2.8 and Nikon Series E 100mm 1:2.8.

I'm looking for something at this focal length/speed and both of these fit the bill and are also reasonably light and compact (about 220g and 56-57mm).

Other suggestions are welcome, but if anyone knows about how these lenses stack up in terms of wide-open sharpness, IQ, flaring, etc. it would be very much appreciated.
  2. xXx1

xXx1 TalkEmount All-Pro

Jan 15, 2013
    I have Tamron 105mm/2.5 and like it.

No personal experience with Pentax or Nikon 100mm but I think that Nikons are somewhat cheaper and Pentaxes are mechanically better (but I have very little experience with Nikons). Both are probably very good optically:
    Nikon 100mm f/2.8 Series E
    SMC Pentax-M 100mm F2.8 Reviews - M Prime Lenses - Pentax Lens Reviews & Lens Database
    Tamron Adaptall 105mm f/2.5 (CT-105) Lens Reviews - Tamron Adaptall Lenses - Pentax Lens Review Database

I would take any of them. Depends availability and price. The Tamron one is most versatile.
  3. Bimjo

Bimjo Super Moderator

Oct 28, 2011
    Washington State
    Never used any of these, but the Olympus OM 100/2.8 is pretty small and well regarded.