1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

100% crop means what? Newbie ?

Discussion in 'Help and Feedback' started by OldFalcon, Mar 7, 2013.

1. OldFalcon

OldFalcon New to TalkEmount

Mar 6, 2013
    North Dakota
    Charles J Taft
    I see this on various and sundry web-pages, reviews of cameras, and so forth. But what does that mean???:confused:

2. Grisu_HDH

Grisu_HDH TalkEmount Veteran

Dec 16, 2012
    Southern Germany
    Markus
    That means if the image size is 100% out-of-camera-view or if things have been cut away/zoom in around the main motive to enlarge it...

3. quezra

quezra TalkEmount Top Veteran

Aug 22, 2012
    I always thought it simply meant you see the pixels full size on your screen. Given that most cameras have resolutions above 4000x3000 and most monitors don't exceed 1920x1080 displaying the image on a monitor involves downsizing. So to avoid that you crop the image to something most monitors can support in a web browser (eg 400 x 300) but that could mean less than 10% of the picture in view. But then every pixel in the monitor corresponds to 100% of the pixel of your camera picture.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

4. WoodWorks

WoodWorks Super Moderator

Dec 12, 2012
    Ashland, OR, USA
    David
    100% crop means that what you're seeing are the actual pixels of the image at their full resolution. So instead of a resized image, say a 4912 x 3264 pixel image that's been resized down to 1024 x 680, it's been cropped down to show only a part of the image at full resolution. The idea is to get a true evaluation for the sensor's and lens' capability. But of course there are still many variables unaccounted for that contribute to endless pixel-peeper debates. :rolleyes:

Edit: D'oh! I see that I'm SO not that fastest typist in this forum.

5. Bimjo

Bimjo Super Moderator

Oct 28, 2011
    Washington State
    Jim
    Adding to quezra's response- a 100% crop is a crop of the original picture that is then displayed without resizing it, resulting in a view of the image pixels at their original size, aka- pixel peeping. Used most frequently for judging the edge or corner performance of a particular lens on a particular camera.

You could post the entire pic at full resolution and get the same effect, but it would not make you a particularly popular person if you did so. Hence, you crop a small portion of the pic, display it without resizing it, and illustrate your point without making people wait for a 16Mp picture to download. :)

6. OldFalcon

OldFalcon New to TalkEmount

Mar 6, 2013
    North Dakota
    Charles J Taft
    Thanks to all, I think I get it! A major variable in all of this would be the size of the pixels on your computer monitor, right?

7. Peter Chin

Peter Chin TalkEmount Regular

Jan 20, 2013
    Toronto, ON Canada
    Peter Chin is my real name.
    100% =the resolution of your image @ 100dpi

8. Bimjo

Bimjo Super Moderator

Oct 28, 2011
    Washington State
    Jim
    Beat me though! LOL

9. Bimjo

Bimjo Super Moderator

Oct 28, 2011
    Washington State
    Jim
    Well, more the number of pixels on your monitor.

Let's say your computer monitor resolution is set to 1024x768 pixels. The native resolution of a NEX 5N file is 4912x3256 pixels. Now, if you have software that will display the 5N file on your computer screen at 100% resolution you'd only be able to see about 20% of the picture on the screen. You can see the whole thing, but you have to scroll to see all of it. If you resize the file to 1024x768 you'll be able to see the whole thing, but it is no longer at 100% of the original resolution.

Now if you were to crop a portion of the picture to 1024x768 your computer would display that crop at 100% resolution, you'd be able to see the entire crop full size.

So, when someone talks about a 100% crop that's what they are talking about- taking a chunk of a much larger picture that will display on the computer screen without having to resize it. It's a full resolution (100%) chunk of the original file that does not get resized, and will still display on the computer screen.

Ok, forget all that stuff I just typed, here's all you need to know.

First pic has been resized from 4912x3256 to 800x532 so the whole pic will display on the screen and not take 2 months to load on the screen over the internet. The resolution has been reduced from 240 pixels per inch to 72 pixels per inch to match the monitors pixel ratio. If you click on the first pic it will open larger so you can see the difference better.
    courthouse130214_02.

Now this one is a 100% crop of the first pic. It is the same size on your screen- 800x532 pixels, but it is still at 240 pixels per inch, full (100%) resolution.
    _DSC2349crop.

See the difference? The first pic is the whole thing, at a reduced size/resolution. The second pic is a portion (crop) of the first pic, still at its original resolution (100%).

10. Jefenator

Jefenator TalkEmount Top Veteran

Nov 23, 2012
    Oregon, USA
    Jeff
    Looking at 100% crops is often referred to as "pixel peeping". The term seems a bit derogatory - makes it sound kind of tedious and pointless, which it can certainly become IMHO when one gets too carried away with it, and that can happen all too easily IME. (I have to remind myself that looking at a 100% sample from a 6000x4000 pixel image on my 102dpi monitor is the rough equivalent of looking at a 3x5' print from a foot and a half away - how often does one do that?)

I have learned a lot from peeping, though. It does place your equipment and shooting technique under extreme scrutiny. It's just important to also keep a sense of perspective and context. One blogger I've read finds it more appropriate to inspect his files at 1:2 while others insist that printing is the only real way to go.