10 Reasons Why a Professional Photographer Left Nikon and started shooting with Sony by Jason Lanier

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by dragion, Oct 8, 2014.

1. dragion

dragion TalkEmount Top Veteran

May 8, 2014
    Boston, MA
    William
    • Like Like x 6
  2. fractal

fractal TalkEmount All-Pro

Jun 17, 2014
    Southeastern PA
    Chris
    Great vid. I know a few place where this video will stir up trouble. :)

3. ilovehatephotography

ilovehatephotography TalkEmount Regular

May 30, 2014
    Los Angeles, CA
    Ed
    So happy with my decision to go Sony mirrorless. I moved from Canon 5D2 and never looked back.

• Like Like x 1
  4. alaios

alaios TalkEmount All-Pro

Jan 11, 2013
    Düsseldorf
    Alex
    I think he has his points. I shoot now with Minolta and never looked back too :p

• Like Like x 1
  5. dragion

dragion TalkEmount Top Veteran

May 8, 2014
    Boston, MA
    William

Chris~
    Coming from being a Nikon user, I too know a few places.
    Funny, I was once even "WARNED" by a moderator that if I sold all my Nikon gear and converted over to Sony I would be "banned" from this particular website's forum!

So far, this has not happened...yet.

• Like Like x 2
  6. Rollin

Rollin TalkEmount Regular

Jul 2, 2014
    Cedar Rapids, Iowa
    That guy is very wordy and watching the side of his face was getting so that I could not watch it all last night - anyone happen to write down his 10 that could share?

7. christian

christian TalkEmount Veteran

Apr 12, 2014
    Boston MA
    • Like Like x 4
  8. dbmiller

dbmiller TalkEmount Top Veteran

Mar 2, 2012
    New England
    I propose we start calling DSLRs "DinoSLauRs".

• Like Like x 2
  9. davect01

davect01 Super Moderator

Aug 20, 2011
    Fountain Hills, AZ
    Dave
    It is a fascinating time of transition. This has been discussed several times here, to various thoughts.

My thoughts, (as a non-proffessinal), are these.

1- Get what fits your style. I am not one to say you should use a particular system. The biggest thing is to find a system that fits you. My wives aunt is a pro and bought a Fuji compact to experiment. She liked it and uses it as a backup/second camera, but still prefers the larger systems.

2- Lens availability. This is a LOT better than when the first compact systems came out, but still a concern for many.

3- Accessories. Like with the lenses, the availability is getting better, but still sparse.

Basically, I love that many pros are adapting to the compact systems. I find a future that many will use both DSLR's and Compact Systems.

10. larrytxeast

larrytxeast TalkEmount Rookie

Feb 23, 2013
    I am merely a hobbyist, but I switched from Nikon DSLRs to Sony E-mount, my last Nikon DSLR being a D5100 in early 2013, I've used Sony NEX-C3, 3n and NEX-6.

The reasons:

(1) Size--the 16mp generation is equal to the Nikon 16mp generation (D5100 and D7000) since it's the same sensor, and Sony uses good processing algorithms. Imagine--the same image quality as a D7000 (which was a really awesome mid-level DX DSLR in 2010) in something much smaller, you have to love that.

(2) Focus points--this is a huge one. Why in the world do DSLRs have so few focus points? My D5100 only had 11. The D600 and D610, great though they are, only have 39. Maybe this seems silly to some people, but for me, that's nowhere near enough, especially when they're so clustered towards the center.

The thing is, I am not at all a "focus center/recompose" type of shooter. My style--I go for composition and THEN I desire to focus with the current composition still intact, no reframing necessary. I can do that on the Sony E-mount models, you get tons of AF points. Just about anywhere you want to focus on the screen, you can. EVERY DSLR should be that way, even entry-level models like the D3300 etc should be, if you ask me.

(3) Easier to keep your shots level for landscapes. I do NOT get into these stupid "dutch angle" shots, that is just a ridiculous thing to do, acting as if you're drunk and can't hold the camera straight. As a hobbyist landscape shooter, I want it absolutely dead-on level. I want it to be so level it's as if I were using a T-square at a drafting table.

This is so easy with such models. You can get a Joby tripod-mounted bubble level for like $8, and you can easily see it for checking your leveling technique at the same time as you see your actual composition. With DSLRs that don't have a built-in electronic level (and why, Sony, did you remove that from the A6000?), you have to switch back and forth from viewing through the viewfinder and viewing the hot-shoe bubble level (live view on DSLRs is too slow). On a Sony E-mount, it's so easy to view both at the same time (or, on models like the NEX-6, you can easily see an electronic gauge while using the electronic viewfinder).

I don't miss my SLRs at all. Sony, I think, is really doing some great things, and I applaud them.

11. mattia

mattia TalkEmount Regular

Dec 13, 2013
    I switched from a full canon system (a pair of 5D mark IIs, L zooms from 17 to 400mm, 35L, 135L, sigma 50 and a few other lenses) to first micro four thirds (still has the better lens lineup, and better size-wise) and then added the A7r. And now I'm in love with the Zeiss 55/1.8.

My primary motivator? Excellent quality in a travelable package. I can fit the E-M1, A7r, zooms covering 14 to 560mm FF equivalent and a couple of excellent primes and a scuba housing (rx100) in under half the size and weight of my dual 5DII, 24-105, 100-400, single fast prime former kit.

Sent from my iPhone using TalkEmount