1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

10/08/14 Full Moon

Discussion in 'Nature' started by roundball, Oct 8, 2014.

1. roundball

roundball TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Oct 8, 2013
    USA
    Very disappointing trip tonight...one of those times when it seemed like whatever could go wrong, did go wrong.
    I made good preparations, set all the camera settings well ahead of time, and still managed to end up with the wrong ISO and Aperture settings
    It occurred to me driving back home that I had taken the camera with the FDn 400 on it, changed the settings to make some bird shots in afternoon sunlight, put it back in the case and never gave it a second thought.
    I also tried to make my debut shooting moonscape type shots ...obviously didn't know what I was doing, learned I had the wrong focal length lens, and didn't get a single keeper.

I did keep this sorry dark shot...a low sky shot with the 400mm to serve as a strong reminder to pay better attention on my next attempt. I had also decided to use a stronger, heavier neck strap tonight, left it hanging on the camera on the tripod, and without realizing it the light breeze was swaying it just enough to cause vibration/movement and 3/4 of the shots were worse than this one...had to be culled right into the trash can on the first pass.

• Like Like x 3
  2. WestOkid

WestOkid TalkEmount All-Pro

Jan 25, 2014
    New Jersey, USA
    Gary
    Don't be discouraged. It comes with the territory. I few months back, I was so happy about being atop my first mountain that I wrecked the whole shoot.

• Like Like x 1
  3. dragion

dragion TalkEmount Top Veteran

May 8, 2014
    Boston, MA
    William
    Great attempt...you'll get it next time.
    At least you got to see the moon last night...it was covered by clouds where I was.

• Like Like x 1
  4. chrid

chrid Super Noob

May 5, 2014
    australia
    Chris
    I think its safe to say we have all had similar experiences at one point or another. When I got my adapter for my yashica af lenses sent to me from America from Fotodiox (the only company making this adapter as far as I know and cost about $70) it arrived faulty and the locking pin would not engage. I was so disappointed I didn't even look at my camera for a couple of weeks, but then I got It back out of the draw took the adapter to tin y pieces and half an hour later all was good haha.

5. roundball

Oct 8, 2013
    USA
    "Wrecked the whole shoot" is a good way to reflect on my outing last night, LOL....

6. roundball

Oct 8, 2013
    USA
    Well, a good night's sleep and rant is over...I have to check the weather but if it's clear again, I may make another attempt tonight.
    Won't be a 'full' full-moon but close enough to see if I can redeem myself

7. roundball

Oct 8, 2013
    USA
    Hopefully last night's experience will satisfy the "Photography Gremlins" for a while and I don't have a repeat any time soon.
    ( good work on your adapter )

8. roundball

Oct 8, 2013
    USA
    Found one a little lighter:

• Like Like x 2
  9. davect01

davect01 Super Moderator

Aug 20, 2011
    Fountain Hills, AZ
    Dave
    I see nothing to complain about in the shot.

Breath and move on,