1:1 RATIO GRID

Richard Crowe

TalkEmount Veteran
I need most of my rescue dog portraits in a 1:1 ratio, since that is the format we post on many of our rescue websites. However, relatively often, I need the image in a standard 3:2 ratio for other uses such as our rescue calendars.
I always shoot in RAW and I crop to 1:1 in Photoshop. However, occasionally I shoot an image in which it is difficult to do a 1:1 crop and show the entire dog. In that case, I usually need to add some background using Photoshop. This slows down my workflow.
It would be extremely handy for me to be able to see a 1:1 grid in the viewfinder while shooting in the 3:2 ratio. Is this possible with either the A6400 or A6500? I tried shooting in RAW + JPEG with the 1:1 ratio selected in the hopes that the 1:1 ratio would only be applied to the JPEG but, I got 1:1 in the RAW image also.
My rationale in hoping that the JPEG would be the only file impacted by the 1:1 ratio is that when I am using focus peaking with a manual focus lens, I will often select RAW + JPEG and B&W image. The view on my LCD will be B&W allowing a more accurate use of focus peaking color while the RAW image will be captured in the normal color version...

dbmiller

TalkEmount All-Pro
Get some inkjet window sticker sheets and print yourself some square grids to put over your LCD. Easily removable so they don't get in your way normally.

dbmiller

TalkEmount All-Pro
What a great idea, thank you... I was considering using a lCD protector and doing the 1:1 grid with a Sharpie marker...
You're welcome. In fact, here's an example of the overlay sheet I use, which includes some pretty odd ratios.
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

I created these so I could be sure I got my framing right when making slide show images to display on my 4K TV or laptop screens. For example, I can put an 8:10 portrait plus a 1:1 image using the following template...

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

The two odd frames in the window sticker sheet from earlier are for templates that allow either two or three images of the same size in the 4K window.

dbmiller

TalkEmount All-Pro
I had no idea such a thing existed. I need to get out more.
Yeah, they are not a thick as a regular LCD protector is, and they get dirty/oily quick (especially if used on a touch screen). But they go on and come off really easy, so that's why I just print out a whole 8.5x11 sheet of them at once. Kind of annoying to leave one on all the time with that many grids.

chalkdust

TalkEmount Top Veteran
Real Name
Bert Cheney
On my A7ii and my wife's A6000, in the menu options, under the "gear wheel", in page 1 is an option called "Grid Line." if you choose "Square Grid" you will get a grid four squares high and six squares wide. The middle 4X4 squares will outline a perfect 1:1 for you. I assume it is the same on your A6400/A6500. This way you can use either the back screen or the EVF and get the same grid.

bdbits

TalkEmount Hall of Famer
Real Name
Bob
Excellent, Bert. I use the rule-of-thirds grid sometimes and completely overlooked the other options. :thumbsup:

Richard Crowe

TalkEmount Veteran
Wonderful suggestion Bert, Thank You! I found the grid lines on the second shooting menu, Page 6 and it is exactly what I needed. I tend to use the EVF for most shooting and the grid lines appear on both the EVF and the LCD. You have saved me hours of PP over the next few years...

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
TalkEmount is a fan site and not associated with Sony Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2011-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom