1.03 firmware available for NEX 6

Discussion in 'Sony Alpha E-Mount Cameras' started by izzikiorage, Mar 20, 2014.

1. izzikiorage

izzikiorage TalkEmount Veteran

Jul 30, 2013
    A new firmware is available for the Sony NEX 6, this comes at the same time as the updates to the A7 and A7R. I heard that the firmware update on the A7 improves the startup speed and also the image quality at higher ISOs. Has anyone tried the new update, does it do anything for the NEX6 apart from adding hybrid focus support for a couple of lenses

Here is the text from the Sony update site

NEX-6 Camera Firmware Update
    print page
    What Does This Do?
    This utility updates the NEX-6 camera firmware to version 1.03 and provides the following benefits:
    Improvements over version 1.02:
    Provides support for the following Fast Hybrid AF compliant and future compatible E mount lenses:
    SELP18105G, SEL35F28Z, SEL55F18Z, SEL2470Z, SEL2870, SEL70200G

Note: For the following lenses, the Fast Hybrid AF is effective only in the central area of the frame.
    SEL35F28Z, SEL55F18Z, SEL2470Z, SEL2870, SEL70200G
    Benefits provided by previous updates and included in version 1.03:
    Provides support for the SEL20F28 and SEL1670Z Fast Hybrid AF compliant lenses
    Adds the AF drive system for movies

Note: The AF drive system for movies is added in order to enhance the scalability of future E-mount systems.
    Provides support for the following Fast Hybrid AF compliant lenses:
    SEL1018, SEL35F18, SELP18200, SEL30M35, SEL50F18, SEL18200LE

Note: When using the SEL30M35, SEL50F18, and SEL18200LE lenses, please update the lens firmware to the latest available version.

Please share your experiences, is it even worth going for this update?

• Like Like x 2
  2. NickCyprus

NickCyprus Super Moderator

Oct 11, 2012
    Cyprus
    Nick
    Thanks for sharing! Also interested in this but only if there are some improvements that doesn't have to do with E-mount lenses (ie. the improved startup speed on the recent A7/R firmware update)

3. addieleman

addieleman Passionate amateur

Nov 13, 2012
    Netherlands
    Ad Dieleman
    I installed the update and lo and behold, my NEX-6 now enabled uploading of pictures to my PC. :cool:

• Like Like x 2
  4. WestOkid

WestOkid TalkEmount All-Pro

Jan 25, 2014
    New Jersey, USA
    Gary
    This is interesting. I always understood the Hybrid AF was enabled by updating the native lens.

Sent from my XT1053 using Tapatalk

5. izzikiorage

Jul 30, 2013
    That's awesome addie, did you also see any increase in the startup speed or maybe an improvement in the image quality?

Would love an overview if you have time and if its warrented :)

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

6. izzikiorage

Jul 30, 2013
    The people over at the dpreview forums have been discussing everything from the keyboard/menus being faster to the low light focusing being faster for PDAF lenses.

Hoping for some comparisons before i try this out over the weekend

7. addieleman

addieleman Passionate amateur

Nov 13, 2012
    Netherlands
    Ad Dieleman
    I just played briefly with the NEX-6, didn't feel like it started up faster. At dpreview someone mentioned that the PDAF grid shows up with the native Sigma lenses so I tried my Sigma 30/2.8 and 60/2.8 and indeed, the grid can be made visible for them as opposed to before the firmware update. In the fairly dim light (at night) I didn't find focussing faster than before, not tried yet in full daylight.

To be honest, I use my NEX-6 sparingly since I have an A7. Tomorrow I'm going to try how fast it focusses in broad daylight with the Sigma 30/2.8; if that's faster than before I'll try to use the NEX-6 with that lens for some street photography.

• Like Like x 1
  8. vintagelensesaddict

vintagelensesaddict New to TalkEmount

Mar 18, 2013
    South Western France
    Thomas
    Hello folks,

To ensure the firmware enabled PDAF on Nex6 with 1.03, you can try a simple test, disable AEL Lock and try AF-c, just tried it with my Nex6 and Sigma 30 ...

The AF is now continuous !!! So it's now PDAF friendly with the Sigmas !!!

QED ;)

• Like Like x 2
  9. izzikiorage

Jul 30, 2013
    Just installed the update today, in the few hours of use saw no striking improvement. Did discover an update for the remote control app though so that's something new. Will try to figure out tomorrow if image quality has improved

10. NicoG

NicoG New to TalkEmount

Mar 21, 2014
    Hi guys,

after the update, does anyone noticed :
    - a snappier keyboard, and more generally an increased fluidity in the menu navigation ?
    - an increased battery drain ?

I wonder why Sony would have made these changes (notably for the smoother interface) without mentioning it in the changelog of the update!

11. BlueBill

BlueBill TalkEmount Regular

Jan 6, 2014
    Toronto
    Seems 1.0.3 makes this the most ever firmware updates for a Sony camera. Would be something to see a feature .1 update...

12. izzikiorage

Jul 30, 2013
    Initial impressions
    1. The new remote control app is much snappier, specially the live view. Also allows you to zoom in and out.
    2. Not sure about faster menus
    3. Seems like a faster keyboard, same with the focusing, but could just be me seeing what i want to see
    4. Allows you to send stuff to your pc
    5. Need to access my pc to compare image quality

Wonder why sony is so shy about telling these things in the change log. Unless they've done nothing and we are a bunch of hopers feeling a placebo effect

• Like Like x 1
  13. unlo

unlo Sony ******

Jan 19, 2014
    Ohio
    Matt
    So no love foe the 5r?

Scribed henceforth from thy G pad.

14. NicoG

NicoG New to TalkEmount

Mar 21, 2014
    What do you mean by sending stuff to PC ? This was already possible before but painfully slow ... and thus not an option.

The zoom-in/zoom-out option is also available with manual lens ... It is a numerical zoom! I need to try it with the kit lens.

15. davect01

davect01 Super Moderator

Aug 20, 2011
    Fountain Hills, AZ
    Dave
    Doing the update right now, even though I don't have any of the lenses listed.

16. izzikiorage

Jul 30, 2013
    Send to computer is now an option in view
    It optically zooms the kit lens

• Like Like x 1
  17. NicoG

NicoG New to TalkEmount

Mar 21, 2014
    Ok thanks,.
    "Send to PC" was already there ;)

• Like Like x 1
  18. Amamba

Amamba TalkEmount All-Pro

Apr 13, 2013
    SE MI
    SEL50f18 seems to acquire focus faster in dim light, but it may be just me.

• Like Like x 1
  19. NickCyprus

NickCyprus Super Moderator

Oct 11, 2012
    Cyprus
    Nick
    I might try this now with the purchase of the 18-105mm...still scared when doing firmware updates :D

20. WestOkid

WestOkid TalkEmount All-Pro

Jan 25, 2014
    New Jersey, USA
    Gary
    Nick it's pretty safe, just live a little. ;)
    It does improve focus on a number of lenses.

• Like Like x 1