1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

06/24/15 Clear Sky and a Half Moon

Discussion in 'Scenic, Architecture, and Travel' started by roundball, Jun 24, 2015.

1. roundball

roundball TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Oct 8, 2013
    USA
    Have had recent months of 'waxing' Half Moons...(arguably the best / brightest / most detailed instances to shoot)...blocked out by weather most months this year but finally got a clear night and a clear Half Moon as it 'waxes' towards full .
    Canon FDn 300/4.0-L + Canon FD 2x-A Extender

Last edited: Jun 24, 2015
    • Like Like x 8
  2. WNG

WNG TalkEmount All-Pro

Aug 12, 2014
    Arrid Zone-A, USA
    Will
    • Like Like x 5
  3. roundball

Oct 8, 2013
    USA
    Good one...they look like twins !

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. roundball

Oct 8, 2013
    USA
    It's a sickness. I felt good after getting a clear Half Moon last night and figured "OK, I'll just wait now until the Full Moon"...but as I walked past the front door a while ago...I couldn't help myself.
    In spite of having thunderstorms on and off all day, I just 'HAD' to step out and see if the moon was even visible. To my surprise, even with an occasional flicker of heat lightning off in the distance, I could actually see the moon between cloud banks. I had to shoot it of course...I mentioned "the sickness' ?
    62% illuminated tonight.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. WNG

WNG TalkEmount All-Pro

Aug 12, 2014
    Arrid Zone-A, USA
    Will
    LOL! It's just plain fun when you can achieve satisfying results. Besides, I also feel partial Moon phases offer more pleasing surface details.
    So the justification is there. And for some of us, astronomy is in our blood.

For the layman who asks why? I like to point them to this article...
    http://petapixel.com/2015/05/04/thi...-was-made-by-a-self-taught-astrophotographer/

Now I'm going to head outside and see if the night sky is clear. ;)

• Agree Agree x 2
  6. Zanner

Zanner TalkEmount Veteran

Aug 19, 2013
    Wisconsin, USA
    Suzanne
    Beautiful as usual!
    I always look for my moon buddy when outside too. Yesterday, he was high in the sky in the evening just over my house and I even said "OK. There you are". Had I not fallen asleep in front of my Mad Men TV binge at 9:30, I probably would have gotten my bum up and gone out and shot him ;)

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1