1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

052915 PM 85% moon headed towards Full

Discussion in 'Scenic, Architecture, and Travel' started by roundball, May 29, 2015.

1. roundball

roundball TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Oct 8, 2013
    USA
    Canon FDn 400/4.5 on NEX-7

• Like Like x 8
  2. Deadbear77

Deadbear77 TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Sep 14, 2012
    Northeast Ohio
    Kevin
    You can almost see the alien bases.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Lisandra

Lisandra TalkEmount Veteran

Jan 28, 2015
    Neat. You used a Tele conv?

• Appreciate Appreciate x 1
  4. Hawkman

Hawkman TalkEmount Top Veteran

Sep 10, 2013
    Virginia, USA
    Steve
    Awesome, as always. Very sharp.

• Appreciate Appreciate x 1
  5. roundball

Oct 8, 2013
    USA
    Not this time...normally I use a Canon FD 2x-A Extender on a Canon FDn 300/4.0L, both from film days back in the 1980's, but this time used a Canon FDn 400/4.5 prime by itself...in either case on an NEX-7.

6. dmward

dmward TalkEmount Veteran

Mar 21, 2015
    Metro Chicago
    David
    Nice images.

Do you weight your tripod or sandbag the camera/lens on the tripod to help minimize any movement?

7. roundball

Oct 8, 2013
    USA
    Yes and it has made such a world of difference for me that I no longer waste my time taking any moon shots without the weight.
    I simply took a GI ammo can, dropped in a couple 5# bags of Aquarium gravel I had on hand, and use a heavy duty strong bungee cord through the handle and back up to the bottom of the vertical center rod of the tripod...simple, quick, portable, etc. Also adjustable depending on leg positions just by wrapping the bungee cord through/around the handle of the ammo can. If you need a photo let me know

8. Nexnut

Nexnut TalkEmount Top Veteran

Lovely shots as usual, RB, but I'm with Kevin; some more flight traffic or spaceport lights wouldn't be bad at all :biggrin:
    Your last set made me google for small, portable telescopes and camera adapters, something I haven't looked for in ages. I was really surprised at what you can get these days for relatively little money, something like the Celestron NexStar series.

9. dmward

Mar 21, 2015
    Metro Chicago
    David
    Thanks.
    I think I have the picture. I've often used my camera bag by looping the shoulder strap around the top or the legs.
    I saw somewhere where a photographer also put a sand bag on top of the lens/camera at the point where the telephoto lens collar was mounted. i.e. right above the tripod head. Apparently the Idea was to reduce lever action of shutter, mirror vibration since its on a fulcrum relative to the mounting point. Naturally mirrorless solved some of that problem. :)

10. roundball

Oct 8, 2013
    USA
    I could see that...after all the considerations are said and done, heavy duty sturdy tripods, strapped down weight underneath tripods, etc...the bottom line is that the entire mechanical attachment point of camera / long lens / weight / leverage situation all comes down to a single tiny 1/4" mounting bolt on an adjustable pad, LOL.

Now that you've mentioned that I'll have to experiment with it...maybe drape a bag of rice or something over the collar mount area to see if I can tell any difference...would have to be pretty narrow not to interfere with the focusing collar.

11. dmward

Mar 21, 2015
    Metro Chicago
    David
    Metabones updated the firmware for the IV version I have so now I can control aperture on my 300 F4 L IS. I also have Sigma 1.4 and 2.0 teleconverters that work with it to support aperture control. I was getting ready to sell the 300 and get a manual lens. Now, you've motivated me to do some moon shooting with the combo.

12. roundball

Oct 8, 2013
    USA
    Seems like they should get the job done...

13. roundball

Oct 8, 2013
    USA
    I used to shoot a lot of Trap & Skeet...remembered I still had several bags of lead bird shot left over from reloading days.
    Went ahead and made a "saddle Bag" shaped 7# weight bag...it has a 2" wide empty/flat section in its middle that lays on top of the lens mounting collar, with a pair of 3.5# sections, each just barely down on each side of the lens.
    I'll give it a try first chance I get...

14. dmward

Mar 21, 2015
    Metro Chicago
    David
    Sounds like the perfect solution.

15. roundball

Oct 8, 2013
    USA
    I think the concept is fine, but in trying it on a moon shot tonight I found it physically too large as it interfered with focusing and I had to set it aside....also think its too heavy at 7 Lbs.
    So I'll rework it so it has a more narrow band across the top of the lens...needs to lay between the front of the aperture ring, and back of the focusing collar.
    And I'll drop the weight from 7 to maybe 4-5 Lbs...try it again.

16. dmward

Mar 21, 2015
    Metro Chicago
    David
    So far, the overcast has kept me from even thinking about trying the Metabones/teleconverter/300mm lens combo for moon shot.

17. dmward

Mar 21, 2015
    Metro Chicago
    David