04/01/15...now 93%, sneaking up closer to Full Moon

Discussion in 'Scenic, Architecture, and Travel' started by roundball, Apr 1, 2015.

1. roundball

roundball TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Oct 8, 2013
    USA
    Canon FDn400/4.5 and NEX-7

Last edited: Apr 1, 2015
    • Like Like x 6
  2. AlwaysOnAuto

AlwaysOnAuto TalkEmount Top Veteran

Feb 17, 2015
    Could I ask how much post processing you need to do to achieve these results?
    Dang, I wish I could get that out of my camera/lens combo.

3. roundball

Oct 8, 2013
    USA
    Never been successful with any moon PP out of Lightroom...discovered that when I upload a moon shot to Photobucket (my hosting site) there is a simple basic control called "High Definition" which I usually apply...its not even a slider, just click on or off, seems to make the craters stand out better.

NOTE:
    And all this assumes to begin with that you're using Magnified Focus Assist, a tripod, held rigidly in place by a heavy weight under it, not touching the tripod, using a remote trigger, etc, etc

4. AlwaysOnAuto

Feb 17, 2015
    I think you nailed it. My technique sucks. I really should get serious about this one of these days.

5. roundball

Oct 8, 2013
    USA
    Yeah, I reached the point of thinking that whatever lengths I go to shooting a sharp picture of the inside of a stationary flower only a few inches away with a macro lens, I have to AT LEAST take all the same steps for something that's almost a quarter million miles away traveling at 2300 mph.

• Like Like x 1
  6. AlwaysOnAuto

Feb 17, 2015
    Guess I need to save up for a remote release for the Nex. I tried using the timer release but it didn't seem to work as well as my remote for my Nikon. I should probably take my ball head off my Slik too as there's too many joints in that system as well. Thanks rb, keep those shots coming.