03/28/15 PM 64% Illuminated, Waxing Towards Full Moon

Discussion in 'Scenic, Architecture, and Travel' started by roundball, Mar 29, 2015.

1. roundball

roundball TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Oct 8, 2013
    USA
    Finally got rid of the dark, cloudy, rainy weather.
    Had a pretty clear, cold 31* night sky just now.
    Canon FDn 400/4.5 on NEX-7

• Like Like x 3
  2. Hawkman

Hawkman TalkEmount Top Veteran

Sep 10, 2013
    Virginia, USA
    Steve
    Great shot!
    Which lens, your 400?

• Like Like x 1
  3. roundball

Oct 8, 2013
    USA
    Yes, Canon FDn 400/4.5...seems to work well on the NEX-7...great for bird shots as well as the moon

4. davect01

davect01 Super Moderator

Aug 20, 2011
    Fountain Hills, AZ
    Dave
    Amazing the detail you can see

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. roundball

Oct 8, 2013
    USA
    I never cease to be amazed at what we can do shooting the moon with over-the-counter camera equipment, especially when you consider its 239,000 miles away traveling @ 2300 mph.
    And I'm sure this shot could be even better in someone elses hands, but I'm pleased with it...biggest problem I had was the cold made my eyes water so much I had trouble seeing clearly to focus using magnified focus assist.

Last edited: Mar 29, 2015
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. AlwaysOnAuto

AlwaysOnAuto TalkEmount Top Veteran

Feb 17, 2015
    Dang it roundball, every time you post these great photos of the moon I end up having to try harder to get one too. Would you cut it out please? I hate going out in the dark when it's cold out, and it's not even THAT cold here either!
    I wish my Nikkor 300mm would give me results like that.

Guess you can color me green with envy.

• Appreciate Appreciate x 1
  7. roundball

Oct 8, 2013
    USA
    LOL...I can't decide which 'rating' to use on your comments..."Like", "Funny", "Appreciate" or just what. At any rate, if said I was disappointed with the way my Canon 300 and 400 lenses work on the NEX-7 I'd be lying...they really seem to be a good match.

But as a neophyte in serious photography, I also view myself in this regard:
    "Even a blind squirrel finds an acorn every now and then"
    :)

8. AlwaysOnAuto

Feb 17, 2015
    Well I consider myself a neophyte in photography let alone SERIOUS photography so don't feel bad about those 'found acorns'.

I think I need to figure out how that magnified focus stuff works on the Nex-7. That and wearing my reading glasses when trying to focus would probably go a long ways too.

9. roundball

Oct 8, 2013
    USA
    My reading glasses actually interfere with my focusing...I wear them on a cord around my neck if I want to review a setting or something but otherwise, don't use them at all.

But Magnified Focus Assist makes a world of difference for me.
    First thing I did was set it up so its the first depression of the navigation button...which you then follow by pressing the AF/MF/AEL button;
    Second thing was to go into the menu and change the default 'time-out' of magnified Focus Assist to No Timeout (or whatever its called)...so it stays magnified permanently until I start to press the shutter button...other wise it times out while I'm spending time trying to really dial in sharp focus and then I have to start all over again.

Without Magnified Focus Assist I can't see detail on the moon...can see a little twinkling of Focus Peaking around an edge of the moon but that's all.
    However, with Magnified Focus Assist on, I can see virtually all of the crater details and also get that Focus Peaking twinkling on the edge of craters, etc.
    IMO, once you get it set up you won't waste time trying to shoot the moon without it.

• Like Like x 1
  10. AlwaysOnAuto

Feb 17, 2015
    Thanks rb, I'll give it a try.