1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

03/02/15 PM - 92% Waxing Moon, headed towards Full

Discussion in 'Scenic, Architecture, and Travel' started by roundball, Mar 3, 2015.

1. roundball

roundball TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Oct 8, 2013
    USA
    Driving home after dark from shooting yesterday's sunset at a lake, this was up in the sky behind a thin wall of clouds.
    Shot it looking East as it was still rising, almost at its apex...92% illumination, Waxing Moon.
    Canon FDn 400/4.5 on NEX-7

• Like Like x 8
    • Winner Winner x 2
  2. ztryfe

ztryfe TalkEmount Veteran

Aug 19, 2014
    Mexico
    Vic
    BOOM 400mm!

Man, I need to work on my sales pitch to convince my CFO (wife).

Pretty nice capture!

• Like Like x 1
    • Appreciate Appreciate x 1
  3. roundball

Oct 8, 2013
    USA
    Surprised it turned out as well as it did as there was quite a bit of overcast between us...but it was there so I had to try, LOL

4. AlwaysOnAuto

AlwaysOnAuto TalkEmount Top Veteran

Feb 17, 2015
    This makes me want to put my 2x extender on my Nikkor 300 and give it a try. Nicely captured.
    We may not have any clouds tonight as the rain seems to have moved on to the east.
    Mind if I ask what the camera settings were?

5. roundball

Oct 8, 2013
    USA
    Basically the "Sunny 16 Rule", but with ISO200 and F11 instead of ISO100 and F16.
    Plus Google turns up a lot of articles that can be helpful with variables

Last edited: Mar 3, 2015
    • Like Like x 1
  6. ztryfe

ztryfe TalkEmount Veteran

Aug 19, 2014
    Mexico
    Vic
    In my experience, spot metering helps, but you need either a caffeine free hand (non shaky) or a tripod / remote release.

Basically deal with the moon as what it is, a sunlit rock.

7. roundball

Oct 8, 2013
    USA
    Oh for sure a good beanbag or tripod is a must...along with self-timer or RR

8. Zanner

Zanner TalkEmount Veteran

Aug 19, 2013
    Wisconsin, USA
    Suzanne
    This just floors me. Beatiful job! I have been out there all night this evening trying to get a good shot. I noticed as we were leaving to eat that it was just above the horizon, orange, and huge. It was the perfect picture. But of course we were leaving and my camera was at home. So I pulled it out when we got back. I tried my Rokinon 500 and my Phoenix 100-500mm. I just can't get a good shot. Obviously I'm not expecting what you have with your Canon though. I think I have the settings all wrong. What did you have everything at if you don't mind me asking?

9. roundball

Oct 8, 2013
    USA
    Not at all...just be aware I'm no authority, can just share what I use as my typical starting point: Canon FDn 400/4.5 on an NEX-7, ISO200, Spot Metering, Daylight WB, Manual Mode, F11, 1/125. Tripod, Remote trigger.

• Like Like x 2
  10. jeffmurray

jeffmurray TalkEmount Veteran

Dec 18, 2014
    Hobart, Australia
    Jeff
    Great shot - can't quite get it this sharp with my Sony 70 - 400mm. Prime v. Zoom I guess.