02/21/15 Sunset at a local lake + Initial basic test of Lightroom 6

Discussion in 'Scenic, Architecture, and Travel' started by roundball, Apr 22, 2015.

1. roundball

roundball TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Oct 8, 2013
    Just looking through some sunset photos I took last night at a local lake.
    The bad news is the sky had cleared out leaving very few clouds for a ho-hum sunset and first blush, this is the best of the lot.
    The good news is this is the first (very basic) test run of a JPEG photo through Lightroom 6 which I downloaded this morning, and so far, the few basics I currently use appear to work the same as Lightroom 5.
    Canon FDn 24-35/3.5-L on NEX-7

One at 24mm

Then one at 35mm

Last edited: Apr 22, 2015
    • Like Like x 4
  2. chrid

chrid Super Noob

May 5, 2014
    Roundball if your wiling to process your photos with lightroom maybe you should give raw a try. You could still do raw+jpeg to have the convenience of both.
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  3. roundball

Oct 8, 2013
    Well, I've had brief thoughts about that for the future...have a lot on my plate right now and with spring unfolding am more interested in using what time I have available getting out shooting I can than sitting at my keyboard undertaking another time consuming learning curve on a laptop with it's viewing limitations. So priority wise, a pre-requisite undertaking this year is upgrading my 4-5 year old laptop with one that's faster, has a much better screen, bigger hard drives, etc.
    Hopefully all that will be done by the time winter cold weather returns and I can take on the challenge of getting into RAW while spending more time indoors...(or not, LOL).
    • Like Like x 1
  4. AlwaysOnAuto

AlwaysOnAuto TalkEmount Top Veteran

Feb 17, 2015
    Very early in my digital shooting days I was advised to record both RAW and jpeg's. Not because I was going to jump right into RAW, but because some day I might and I'd be able to go back to the RAW files. If space is a limitation I can understand that. Just saying you can't go back to what you don't have to begin with.

Nice shots by the way. Kind of makes me wish we had a lake nearby.
  5. roundball

Oct 8, 2013
    Good point...I can at lest look at using a D drive or external USB drive to store culled Hi Potential RAW / JPEG files in case
  6. WoodWorks

WoodWorks Super Moderator

Dec 12, 2012
    Ashland, OR, USA
    That would be a great first step, roundball. And if you do find yourself with the time to dive into raw development next winter, my advice is to do yourself a favor and get a good Lightroom book, or spend some time with some of the many online tutorials. Trying to learn raw development by the "what does this slider do?" method is a recipe for frustration and discouragement.
    • Agree Agree x 3
  7. unlo

unlo Sony ******

Jan 19, 2014
    If there is one thing that still floors me about my journey down this path... Is that images taken forever ago can still be edited... I've been completely Shocked multiple times at the results I've gotten from editing a raw image I'd chalked up to 'bad' or 'unusable' granted many of those were bad camera techniques or terrible composition, but still quite a few ended up being edited and "saved"... Just a thought. With storage space being as cheap as it is. Shooting raw+jpg has never been more feesible
    And with lightroom import settings being as robust as they are... Sorting shouldn't be too hard. Edit ur jpgs quickly and easily as you see fit. Save the RAW for winter time editing. Lol just my 2 cents. I fought RAW just like you at first. But I'm still pleasantly surprised by the results I'm getting from editing old forgotten images (think of your slides)

edit: i posted before reading the other replies and glad to know im not the only one thinking this way :) Also, as a side note Seagate has External HDD 5TB of storage for under 150 http://www.buydig.com/shop/product....6999&catargetid=230005120000522436&cadevice=c
    • Like Like x 2