01/05/15 january full moon – early am “moonset” just before dawn

Discussion in 'Scenic, Architecture, and Travel' started by roundball, Jan 5, 2015.

1. roundball

roundball TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Oct 8, 2013
    USA
    01/05/15 January Full Moon – early AM “Moonset” just before dawn

This morning was the January Full Moon here, got up at 4:00am, drove / hiked back in several hundred yards along the shoreline of a local lake and set up, temp in the 30’s, very strong stiff NW wind off the lake in my face had to have the wind chill down in the 20’s.
    With "Moonset" occurring in the West, close to the time the sunrise would be starting to lighten the sky from the East behind me, I had hoped to get a good "moonscape" showing the lake & trees in decent detail but it was still just too dark by the time the Moon disappeared.
    At any rate, got back to the house, thawed out, and kept a couple shots for now.

BLACK & WHITE FULL MOON – STILL UP IN THE EMPTY SKY

NORMAL COLOR SETTINGS FULL MOON STILL UP IN THE EMPTY SKY

TRIED TO CATCH A FLOCK OF BIRDS ACROSS THE MOON…MOON IS SOFT BUT A UNIQUE SHOT WORTH FILING AWAY

JANUARY FULL MOON AT “MOONSET” JUST BEFORE DAWN, SETTLING DOWN BEHIND THE TREELINE

• Like Like x 7
  2. ztryfe

ztryfe TalkEmount Veteran

Aug 19, 2014
    Mexico
    Vic
    Moon set photo is great!

What Focal Length are you using, couldnt tell on the links, the images seems as in my telescope with the low magnification eyepiece, pretty nifty!

• Like Like x 1
  3. roundball

Oct 8, 2013
    USA
    Took that Moonset at the treeline with a Canon FDn 400/4.5 on an NEX-7.
    Thinking about going back in the morning as the moon will set 50 minutes later and the sunlight from the horizon behind me should create a lot of reflected skylight down on the trees and water so they'd show up in a "moonscape" type shot.

( The challenge will be getting out from under the warm electric blanket early again in the morning as its supposed to be another 10 degrees colder :) )

• Like Like x 1
  4. ztryfe

ztryfe TalkEmount Veteran

Aug 19, 2014
    Mexico
    Vic
    yikes, 400mm, now that is some serious reach! Thanks for getting back to me.

A very long extension cord for the blanket?

5. TonyTurley

TonyTurley TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Apr 24, 2013
    West Virginia, USA
    Very nice. All we have today is a non-descript grey overcast.

Tony

• Like Like x 1
  6. roundball

Oct 8, 2013
    USA
    I had the alarm set to go back again early this morning since the moonset would be 50 minutes later, I knew I'd have a lot of reflected skylight by then and get a better detailed "moonscape"...alarm went off, saw 24* on the thermometer, knew the wind chill would have it down in the teens, and with my vast Lunar knowledge knowing the Moon would be back again on a warmer day, crawled back under the electric blanket, LOL...

7. Zanner

Zanner TalkEmount Veteran

Aug 19, 2013
    Wisconsin, USA
    Suzanne
    Beautiful! I wanted to get shots of the moon last night, but it was -35 out and didn't want my camera to just break into pieces on exiting the house ;) I wish I had my camera with me this morning though. The moon doesn't really set here at this time of year, and it was big and beautiful high in the sky on my way to work. And the sky was a crisp blue falling into a purple towards the horizon. It made me feel like I was in Antarctica or something (because it's flipping freezing here!).

• Like Like x 1
  8. roundball

Oct 8, 2013
    USA
    Wow...that makes my wind chill in the teens sort of like a heat wave to you, LOL

• Like Like x 1
  9. davect01

davect01 Super Moderator

Aug 20, 2011
    Fountain Hills, AZ
    Dave
    Well done.

Like the ones with stuff in the foreground.

10. WestOkid

WestOkid TalkEmount All-Pro

Jan 25, 2014
    New Jersey, USA
    Gary
    Very nice. That 400mm is sharp

11. Zanner

Zanner TalkEmount Veteran

Aug 19, 2013
    Wisconsin, USA
    Suzanne
    It's 11 degrees above currently and the sun is shining. I decided to leave my scarf at home during the lunch hour because it feels so warm out now!