• Welcome to TalkEmount.com, the best Sony E-mount camera and photography community on the web.
    Click here to join for free and enjoy unlimited photo uploads in our forums.

Any thoughts on cheap but good adapted macro? Minolta?

Kirkp

TalkEmount Veteran
At this point, I as an outsider just reading a full page of these arguments, I come to ask myself: "Does it really even matters what one calls them???" ...just my 0,02c
It would be important buyers or sellers. But it doesn't seem worth a long argument in this forum. It seems to have thrown this thread off course from the OP's original question.

davect01

Super Moderator
Real Name
Dave
It would be important buyers or sellers. But it doesn't seem worth a long argument in this forum. It seems to have thrown this thread off course from the OP's original question.

Agreed.

As to the contentious 50mm it was sold as a Macro combo by Minolta. It is good to clarify that it is a two piece set.

heymatthew

TalkEmount Regular
Real Name
Matthew
I have the Vivitar 55/2.8 Macro (1:1) adapted to my A7 and it creates really stunning images (especially when focused properly). I use it to photograph fountain pens (mostly) and it's awesome for that. It gives me a wide enough field of view to allow for some background in my images while giving me 1:1 macro for times when I want to really showcase a nib unit or pen detail. I think I paid like $75 for mine and I am using it with an inexpensive FOTGA or FOTOASY Adapter with the little tripod foot. If I get a chance, I'll post some samples here if you'd like to see some. If I'm not mistaken, the Vivitar 55/2.8 Macro was made by Komine; or at least SOME versions of it were (I believe a SN search will return the manufacturer of your lens).

Mine is an FD mount (which I like because the adapters are a bit shorter than MD-Mount adapters due to the FD's shorter flange distance.

pworden

TalkEmount Veteran
Real Name
Patti
I still love this old macro – Vivitar (Komine) 90mm f/2.8 macro. Pretty light considering it's 1:1 without an extra tube; Minolta mount:
<a href="https://www.flickr.com/photos/lilac5711/10789786374" title="Portrait of a Cabbage Worm by Patti Worden, on Flickr">
10789786374_daf2934290_b.jpg
   ---            
"1024" height="852" alt="Portrait of a Cabbage Worm"></a>

AlwaysOnAuto

TalkEmount Hall of Famer
I've got an old Micro-Nikkor 55mm that I've only shot a few macro pictures with so far. I picked up some extension tubes recently too, for cheap, and look forward to learning more about using them in combo with the lens.
Here's one of my shots made with it.
DSC_6533-1fixed2 (Large).jpg
   ---            

dragion

TalkEmount Top Veteran
Real Name
William
I was just researching on my Sigma 90mm f/2.8 1:2 Macro lens yesterday.
Looking for the Life-size attachment, which mine didn't come with.
FYI: found one on eBay for $25...:D

What I read was that a lens from 1:1 - 1:4 and anything in between can be considered a "macro" lens.
Does not have to be a "true" 1:1 to be a macro.

Is this correct?

xXx1

TalkEmount All-Pro
1:4 is may be classified as close focus but not macro. Most macro lenses go only 1:2 as the long helicoid is problematic and use extension tube to get 1:1. That is ok usually, especially with ASP-C sensors. If you really need 1:1 often and don't mind long helicoid it is worth hetting true 1:1.

Ffordes has got some Vivitar 55mm/2.8 macros for sale. 59-69 GBP.

Latest threads

Top Bottom