• Welcome to TalkEmount.com, the best Sony E-mount camera and photography community on the web.
    Click here to join for free and enjoy unlimited photo uploads in our forums.

Help Me Decide My Portrait Lens (75, 85, 90mm)

MAubrey

TalkEmount All-Pro
Real Name
Mike
Canon FDn 85mm f/1.2L | Location: USA | Ships: US/Canada | Seller: MAubrey | Price: $850
https://www.talkemount.com/showthread.php?t=8393

Yep. Just so everyone knows, the reason mine is priced higher than my original purchase price is that I spent $150+time for each of them to be converted to EF mount. It isn't an easy conversion and took about 5 hours. For what it's worth, it's also listed on Ebay for $950.

GateCityRadio

TalkEmount Regular
Real Name
Kev
The FA77 Limited is a nice lens, I've used it on Pentax Film cameras for a while. I just ordered my A7 a few days ago, when I get it I'll try to post some pictures with the FA77. I also have a SMC tak 135 2.5 m42 (not sure what the difference between that one and the K is other than the mount) and I'll try to post some pictures with that one as well. In the short term I plan on getting a rokinon 85/1.4 while I wait for sony(or sigma) to fill in that gap in the FE line up.

CalBoy87

TalkEmount Regular
Another vote for FD 85/1.2L . While beastly and heavy on a7, it has this really great bokeh and it is really close to EF 85L in IQ, while costing less than half. Here is few examples.
14-1152.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

14-1167.jpg

14-1174.jpg

Igor

New to TalkEmount
Real Name
Igor
voted for Canon FD 85/1.2L , that's an amazing lens you can't go wrong with. the #2 choice would be Leica 90/2 . love it too, superb colors and clarity. Good luck !

DigitalD

TalkEmount Veteran
Real Name
David K Fonseca
I know this is an old thread but it doesn't seem to have been resolved. I wanted to mention that I have seen some amazing images and reviews of the Rokinon 85mm. And a crazy price too. Anyone have experience with that lens?

xXx1

TalkEmount All-Pro
I know this is an old thread but it doesn't seem to have been resolved. I wanted to mention that I have seen some amazing images and reviews of the Rokinon 85mm. And a crazy price too. Anyone have experience with that lens?

Quite many have it, me too. Search Samyang 85mm.

DigitalD

TalkEmount Veteran
Real Name
David K Fonseca
Quite many have it, me too. Search Samyang 85mm.

I guess I was asking on how it stacks up against the other lenses in the discussion. If the Samyang was your only 85mm, would it be enough?

MAubrey

TalkEmount All-Pro
Real Name
Mike

It's a surprisingly good lens. The problem with it is that it is a you-get-what-you-pay-for sort of lens when it comes to build quality. There's a lot of glue holding things together inside. In time, it will break. And it will break faster than other 85's.

Deadbear77

TalkEmount Hall of Famer
Real Name
Kevin
I have 2 versions. The rokinon and the vivitar. Both are wonderful. Got the vivitar new for just over 200.00. My favorite portrait lens I have.

xXx1

TalkEmount All-Pro
I guess I was asking on how it stacks up against the other lenses in the discussion. If the Samyang was your only 85mm, would it be enough?

It is pretty good wide open but image quality don't improve much stopping down. However it is completely ok for me.

I think it wouldn't replace my CZ Sonnar 85mm/2.8 or a macro lens. I would say that it is pretty much a portrait lens for me.

Zanner

TalkEmount Veteran
Real Name
Suzanne
I asked Santa for a Samyang 85mm. Hopefully he leaves it in the Ferrari I asked for as well. Not sure I've been that good though

DigitalD

TalkEmount Veteran
Real Name
David K Fonseca
Here are some shots with the rokinon if your interested.

Rokinon 85 1.4 https://www.talkemount.com/showthread.php?t=5261

Well now. That is some beautiful work there bud! Love the bokeh and the mood of those shots. Very nice!!

I grabbed a Canon FDn 85 f 1.8 because it was only $80. However out of all my FD lenses its my least favorite. The L would be great but the Rokinon seems a good fit for me for now. If I find I start shooting more at that FL I'll look to invest more later. Thanks for the feedback all! Love having access to these forums :)

Latest threads

Top Bottom