What type of strap are people using

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by Simsy, Jan 31, 2013.

1. Simsy

Simsy TalkEmount Regular

As in the title what strap do most people use ? What are the goods and bads of the straps that they have tried.

I personally don't particularly like neck straps I find them very uncomfortable. At the moment I am using a octopus wrist strap from eBay it's quite a generous strap nice and thick and a reasonable length. But it like all wrist straps doesn't leave you hands free for when you need to change lenses and the like. I have just ordered the Joby sling strap to give that a go, I liked the Joby because it seems to have a slimmer design unlike others like the black rapid strap that has a huge pad. So having tried a few different straps without finding one I like yet I thought I would see what you guys are doing and what works best for you or not. It might even help the next person from buying a bunch of straps they don't need like me lol. Anyway I am looking forward to getting the Joby strap and giving that a go you never know it might be the one for me.

2. addieleman

addieleman Amateur Subscribing Member

Ad
    I use Nikon AN-6W neckstraps on all my cameras, from the Nikon F3 in 1994 to the NEX-6 and Panasonic GH2 I have now. They are wide enough and they don't irritate my neck like the neckstraps delivered with today's cameras. The yellow ones (AN-6Y) are a bit too conspicuous to my taste.

[​IMG]

3. Nubster

Nubster TalkEmount Veteran

Chad
    BlackRapid.

4. Simsy

Simsy TalkEmount Regular

I have read that somewhere else that the Nikon straps are really good and people use them on all sorts of cameras. I know one thing for sure Sony may know how to make a great little camera but they can't make straps for quids. The neck strap that came with my f3 could just about decapitate someone it's that stiff and ruff.

5. Frank Teurlings

Frank Teurlings TalkEmount Regular

Op/Tech USA Gotscha Wriststrap. Will do just fine. Weight capacity of 4,5 kg.

6. RalllyFan

RalllyFan TalkEmount Regular

Tom
    I use the supplied strap, but I'm thinking of going the wrist strap route. For some reason, whenever I shoot in portrait the strap is always either in front of the lens or in front of the LCD. I almost want to go strapless, but I've been known to be a bit of a butter fingers, so some form of safety is required.

7. ChangshaNotes

ChangshaNotes   Super Moderator

Colin
    If I'm only carrying the camera (and maybe one lens in a pocket) I use a BlackRapids strap. If I'm using a bag I use a wrist strap.

8. Bimjo

Bimjo   Super Moderator Subscribing Member

Jim
    Yep, butterfingers is what made me make a wrist strap from paracord. It has saved the 5N more than once.

9. applemint

applemint TalkEmount Veteran

10. Peter Chin

Peter Chin TalkEmount Regular

Peter Chin is my real name.
    Cotton carrier hand strap ill post a photo later im in bed :p i use it as a second carry on the cotton carrier vest, im not big on neck or wrist straps, slings on some bodies bit actually prefer no straps but since dropping my fuji awhile back i seriously re-thought that habit and cotton carrier vest with hand strap is what i settled on for now.

11. Deadbear77

Deadbear77 TalkEmount All-Pro

Kevin
    [​IMG]
    Optech eBay 7.00

12. Orange

Orange TalkEmount Veteran

It's not Orange!
    Wow that's like an SAS wrist strap - "Don't mess with me"! ;)

13. Skipperjonce

Skipperjonce TalkEmount Regular

That is a pretty awesome strap. Must have a 50KG load capacity on that thing!

I have a Gariz XS-WSM2 which is a little more dainty but really rather cool. Suits the Nex perfectly. Screams quality.

Clicky

14. Deadbear77

Deadbear77 TalkEmount All-Pro

Kevin
    Lol. It's good when I'm lugging around a 70/210 for a while, I also have a shoulder strap with a slide hook, cam hangs at the waist by the tripod screw and slides up chest to shoot. Ill post pic later.

15. Simsy

Simsy TalkEmount Regular

A very quick snap of my Octopus wrist strap I intend to leave that on the camera and add the Joby sling when necessary.

[​IMG]

I went to take this pic but oh no flat battery only just scraped in this quick shot b4 the a77 went dead.

16. davect01

davect01   Super Moderator Subscribing Member Charter Member

Dave
  17. Chuck Lawson

Chuck Lawson TalkEmount Regular

I've been using a Joby sling with my NEX 6 and it seems to work fine for me; haven't really tried any wrist straps.

18. NickCyprus

NickCyprus   Super Moderator Subscribing Member

Nick
  19. Rich

Rich TalkEmount Veteran

Richard
    I normally use whatever strap is supplied with the camera but with the NEX I just have a simple leather wrist strap.

20. Nubster

Nubster TalkEmount Veteran

Chad