Changes... do the right thing at the right time!?

Discussion in 'Coffee Bar' started by Grisu_HDH, Jan 29, 2013.

1. Grisu_HDH

Grisu_HDH TalkEmount Veteran

Markus
    He folks.
    Today I quite my job at my company after 15 years working with them...
    Really strange feeling to know that in 3 months (thats notice period) I will work for a new company... New colleagues, new product to sell...
    :'( and :) at the same time...
    Advertisement

Worked in the printing industry since I studied, now I will be with on of Germanys biggest producer of firefighting trucks and ladders... B-)

2. Frank Teurlings

Frank Teurlings TalkEmount Regular

Sometimes changes in your life a motivator. Especially if you're looking for a new challenge. And there may be other work and colleagues are a part of.

3. Nubster

Nubster TalkEmount Veteran

Chad
    I hope to change industries soon...within the next 6 months. Been working in law enforcement since 1999...now I am moving on to respiratory therapy. Just recently graduated with my degree...now I need to get certified and find a new job.

4. nianys

nianys TalkEmount All-Pro

Welcome to the club ! On January 18th I left the company, job, colleagues, I'd been with for the past 6 years. So not nearly as long as you, but still a slice of my life. Still adapting now, but feel good overall. Our activity had been taken over by a new company with zero regard for the employees, so I kissed them goodbye !

5. Bimjo

Bimjo   Super Moderator Subscribing Member

Jim
    Congrats on the career change. :)

6. Jefenator

Jefenator TalkEmount Top Veteran

Jeff
    Must be an international bug or something. After 15 years, I recently quit being a full-time musician. It's nice to have some latitude to do what one needs to do!

7. addieleman

addieleman Passionate amateur Subscribing Member

Ad
    Congrats on all the career changes, hope you all enjoy your new careers. Being almost 59 it's not easy to get a new job here in The Netherlands, but hey, you never know...

8. nianys

Well, I'm 43 and unemployment hasn't been this severe in France since... Actually it probably NEVER has been this severe. I need about a year of training to be able to look for a new position, and the bureaucratic process to even apply for the training is hellish... But I needed the break and heck, slavery has been banned in 1841 (or close) and I won't stand firms trying to bring it back with the excuse of The Recession. "You should be grateful to even have a job" is such a vicious, comtemptuous thing to say. Screw them ;)

9. Grisu_HDH

Markus
    Well the EURO zone really is dealing with high unemployment these days and things don't seem to get better...
    Greece, Spain, France,... so really a hard decision to quite a safe job just to do something new... especially now that we are working on "Project Family", both being in our mid thirties...

Really strange to share these kind of thoughts with people here in a camera user group... *thumbup*

10. WoodWorks

WoodWorks   Super Moderator Subscribing Member

David
    Well, I've been self-employed for the past 23 years now, working out of my house. What is this "career" you all are speaking of? :confused:

11. Grisu_HDH

Markus
    Well... career is not the important aspect in my eyes...
    To like what you do is the harder thing to achieve...

12. Nubster

Nubster TalkEmount Veteran

Chad
    That's a quest most will fail and it's a shame that people have to settle for something just because it pays enough. I can say that for most of my life, I've worked jobs that were just jobs. I've yet to find something that I truly love to do, except maybe when I used to cook. Bad thing is, being a cook pays squat and being a chef, yeah, there's money in it if you don't mind working 16 hours a day. I would love to be a career fire fighter and I've tried numerous times...it just wasn't in the cards for me and now I'm too old to apply at most paid departments.

13. WoodWorks

WoodWorks   Super Moderator Subscribing Member

David
    I'm with Mark Twain when it comes to work: "I do not like work, even when someone else is doing it."

Or maybe Aldous Huxley: "Like every man of sense and good feeling, I abominate work."

Hm, no, perhaps Dorothy Parker said it best: "Work is the province of cattle."

Wait, scratch that! Final answer. I'm going with Kurt Vonnegut: "I tell you, we are here on Earth to fart around, and don't let anybody tell you different."

:)

14. davect01

davect01   Super Moderator Subscribing Member Charter Member

Dave
    12 years is a long time.

Hope all does well at the new adventure.

15. RalllyFan

RalllyFan TalkEmount Regular

Tom
    To me, that sounds like a pretty interesting job!

I, too, spent some time in the printing industry working at a little offset printer on a college campus. Was more sales than printing, but either way, I can't say that I miss it.

16. nianys

I think we're seeing the worst of the Recession, right now in 2013. Sure, that's a pretty bold (dumb ?) moment to let go of a safe job, but as I said there's only so much I will accept to *keep* a job. I'm not gonna get on all four and roll over like so many management folks want us to these days ;) I'd rather go back to school and have it rough for a year or two, and then have a better position again. In the meantime I'm getting a well deserved break walking my pup and discussing photography with great folks ;)

17. Skipperjonce

Skipperjonce TalkEmount Regular

I've lost track of how many times since my teens that I've 'thrown away' a valuable career to chase my whims. I was the eternal despair of my mother but (and maybe I've just been lucky) I always found myself in a better position once the smoke had cleared.

Well done for taking the jump and best of luck with your next move. To have the ability to adapt and change is a humans greatest gift, and one that will prove useful in cash-strapped Europe right now.

18. -et-

-et- TalkEmount Regular

Tom
    Very, very true.

When I went to the reunion of my high school class, I found that out of 461 people in the class I was one of only a handful that was doing what I had wanted to do at graduation. It has made me appreciate my good fortune that after 51 years in my profession (Aerospace Engineer), I still enjoy doing what feeds my family.

- Tom -

19. nianys

I'll try to translate my father's saying (he himself worked like crazy all his life) in English, without betraying the meaning :

"Le travail rabaisse l'homme au rang du travailleur"

more or less "Work lowers Man into Worker"

I've been out of the job since January 18th and it's total bliss, lol.

20. ChangshaNotes

ChangshaNotes   Super Moderator

Colin
    Big changes, disruptions can teach us a lot about ourselves. 10 years ago I left a good career in Canada to move to China. No family, no friends, no Chinese language. Am I better off now? Financially, probably not but I'm happier than I've ever been and I learned so much about who I am, what I need and what I have to offer.

Good luck in your change. It can be frightening or at least unnerving but it's always educational.