1. August 2015 Sony FE 28mm Lens giveaway! Click here to learn more and enter the drawing.

Sigma Announces New 60mm f/2.8 and Redesigned 19mm f/2.8 and 30mm f/2.8 Lenses

Discussion in 'Front Page News, Rumors, Reviews, and Articles' started by Amin Sabet, Jan 29, 2013.

1. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet   Administrator

60_28_DN_013.jpg

Today Sigma announced a new 60mm f/2.8 telephoto lens for NEX and Micro 4/3 in addition to redesigned 30mm and 19mm lenses. It is unclear what changes with the 30mm and 19mm lenses, other than a new metal exterior. According to Sigma, "All three DN lenses incorporate telecentric optical designs and a linear, auto focusing motor that ensures accurate and quiet focusing for video recording. They also boast metal exteriors and a simply shaped focus ring, with varying textures to distinguish each part of the lens. In addition, DN users can choose between a black or silver finish to match their favorite equipment."

From the Sigma press release:

• 60mm F2.8 DN- Featuring the natural perspective of mid-range telephoto lenses, together with a shallow depth of field, this lens allows the photographer to capture a single part of a subject with great bokeh effects. It has an angle of view equivalent to 120mm on the Micro Four Thirds system and 90mm on the E-mount system (35mm equivalent focal length). The minimum focusing distance is 19.7 inches; the maximum magnification is 1:7.2. This lens also contains Special Low Dispersion (SLD) glass, which helps minimize axial and transverse chromatic aberration.
    • Sigma 19mm F2.8 DN – This high-performance, wide-angle telephoto lens has an angle of view equivalent to 38mm on the Micro Four Thirds system and 28.5mm on the E-mount system (35mm equivalent focal length). As a wide-angle lens with excellent mobility, it is ideal for studio photography, architecture and starry skies. Its minimum focusing distance is 7.9 inches and its maximum magnification is 1:7.4.
    • Sigma 30mm F2.8 DN – This high-performance, standard telephoto lens has an angle of view equivalent to 60mm on the Micro Four Thirds system and 45mm on the E-mount system (35mm equivalent focal length). This lens, which is perfect for casual and formal portraiture, documentary photography, travelogues and everyday shooting, includes a double-sided aspherical lens that enhances its optical performance. Its minimum focusing distance of 11.8 inches and its maximum magnification is 1:8.1.

2. RalllyFan

RalllyFan TalkEmount Regular

Tom
    Why make the 60 if it isn't going to be a macro?

3. nianys

nianys TalkEmount All-Pro

It's intended as a portrait lens I think...

4. Poki

Poki TalkEmount Hall of Famer Charter Member

Sure, but it seems not fast enough for this - not at an APS-C sized sensor. Whatever, I'll get the 50mm 2.8 CZ, so I don't need this Sigma one. Would love to have a 60 1.8 dedicated for portraits though! But yeah - Sony'll have a 85mm 1.8 that'll get the job done, I guess.

5. quezra

quezra TalkEmount Top Veteran

I really like the new designs! I think they were made to remove the problem of pinching the lens with the rubber grips... I doubt the optics have changed but hopefully they have faster AF motors. Still the old designs are unbeatable for their price.

60mm... much nicer portrait length than 50 for NEX but I just got my hands on a sweet minty FL 85/1.8 so not in a hurry :D

6. Poki

Oh, and they are all compatible with Sigmas USB Dock! A great way to set the lenses apart from the crowd, imho!

7. Bimjo

Bimjo   Super Moderator Subscribing Member

Jim
    And now you know why the Sigma double lens deal came along- clearing out stock. ;)

8. Yohan

Yohan TalkEmount Veteran

Yohan
    I realize the information is limited atm. But what do you figure the differences are between the current 19/30 and the new 19/30?

9. Yohan

Yohan TalkEmount Veteran

Yohan
    As in you can plug in the lens itself? That must be nice for firmware updates.

10. Nubster

Nubster TalkEmount Veteran

Chad
    I won't complain about that. Any day I can get two pretty nice AF lenses for $200 is a good day.

11. alaios

alaios TalkEmount All-Pro

Alex
    Any information on the release date and the costs?

Alex

12. krugorg

krugorg TalkEmount Regular

I am really curious on this as well! If it manages CA a bit better and has sharper corners on my NEX-7, I will pick up the new version. ;)

Hmmm... what is the resale value on a lens with modest build quality that is selling for $100 new? :eek:

13. Jefenator

Jefenator TalkEmount Top Veteran

Jeff
    I wish it was a macro - it just so happens I am currently using a 60mm f/2.8 lens that is a macro. I like the focal length. Smaller size and AF support would be most welcome, but since it only gets up to about 1:7, I'm afraid it's going to be of little use to me.
    If it's anything like the siblings, I expect it will be a great value and a super performer for more general purposes. Can't say enough good things about my older plastic 30mm! :)

14. Dioptrick

Dioptrick TalkEmount All-Pro

That's really good info, thanks for sharing Amin.

15. Poki

Yep, you can just mount it like on a camera - looks pretty sweet. :)

I guess they want to avoid a 'disaster' like with their 18-200, where every single lens had to be sent back to them for a fw upgrade to make it compatible with Sony's sweep panorama.

16. addieleman

addieleman Passionate amateur Subscribing Member

Ad Dieleman
    If the 60/2.8 is as good as the Sigma 19/2.8 I have, I will be tempted to get the 60/2.8 and 30/2.8 as well. So far I seem to be the only one that actually likes a non-macro 60mm. I would have liked it just a little bit longer like 65mm or 70mm, but I can live with 60mm presuming it's really good. I'm waiting for a good deal on the present 30mm and then I'll get that one as well.

Please Sigma, make us a swell 13mm or 14mm prime! I'm warning you, I'll get the Sony 10-18mm if you don't do it soon!

17. Jefenator

Jefenator TalkEmount Top Veteran

Jeff
    YES!! A nice e-mount 14mm prime that performs great and isn't too bulky or expensive, I would order that in a heartbeat! (The Voigtlander 15mm is my fallback...)

18. Poki

Only problem for the 60mm lens seems to be a 1 stop vignetting, which is worse than I hoped considering its size and maximum aperture. See here: Art | SIGMA 60mm F2.8 DN | SIGMA GLOBAL VISION

The second problem might be the huge focus rings - I like them big, but as they are not textured in any way, we have yet to see how easy to use they are. IF it's good - and the lenses cost 250 or less - they might be quite interesting.

19. ItsaChris

ItsaChris New to TalkEmount Charter Member

There is MTF data on the sigma art site and it looks very good.
    mtf.gif

Also the lens length is only 2.2in (55mm) thats the same length as the Oly 45mm f1.8. Even if the lens is 300 I would take it over the 50mm sony, unless the test are bad...

20. Poki

MTF data is worthless without knowing the measured lp/mm ... This chart might show 10/30 or even 10/20 lp/mm lines, which would make its performance not that good at all.

Second problem is - the 50mm 1.8 is faster, hass OSS and good bokeh - how well will this lens compete?