Site changes

Discussion in 'Help and Feedback' started by Amin Sabet, Jan 25, 2013.

1. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet   Administrator

Hi all,

Site activity is picking up in recent months as the community grows, and I've added a B&H ad to help pay the bandwidth.

Also added a "Recent Discussions" tab at the top for a shortcut to all active forum threads (besides Buy and Sell threads, which are on a separate tab).

Let me know if you'd like to see any changes and/or additions.

2. Phoenix

Phoenix TalkEmount Top Veteran Charter Member

Phoenix Gonzales
    Maybe a "Donations" tab?

3. Luckypenguin

Luckypenguin TalkEmount Regular

Nic
    "Recent Discussions" tabs are good as the list of new and unread threads increases in size.

4. freddytto

freddytto TalkEmount All-Pro

good idea

5. serhan

serhan TalkEmount All-Pro Charter Member

Latest Image Threads might be good as I find it useful in mu-43.com.

6. davect01

davect01   Super Moderator Subscribing Member Charter Member

Dave
    I too have noticed and been excited about the increased activity.

Love that so many are enjoying their NEX cameras.

7. eno789

eno789 TalkEmount Top Veteran

Brian
    Can we have the Image Archive threads sorted by name, by default?

Thanks!

8. nianys

nianys TalkEmount All-Pro

Amin just a note to thank you for this great place. It's very unique in the photo webosphere, at least to my knowledge.

9. Amin Sabet

Serhan, I will do it, but I'm going to wait until site activity reaches a certain level first.

Done, thanks for suggesting!

10. Amin Sabet

It's really my pleasure. TalkNEX has been very much a member-led site from the start. I get to just sit back and enjoy the great community like everyone else :).

11. Michael Johansson

Michael Johansson TalkEmount Regular

Michael Johansson
    I can somehow understand the need of payed advertising to finance the site. Still I think it is a pity. How much would it cost if we finance the site our self via members fees?

I am a member in an motorhome club here in Sweden and we have a rather popular site which is free for registered "Interested" but gives access to abaout 80% of the clubs. The can read and write up to 300 posts. Members pay about 10GBP a year and that gives access to the whole forum and unlimited posting.

Parhaps something like that could be done here to? Registered "Interested" can read everything but cant´t see submitted pics and write a sertain number of posts. To write more and se pics we pay an anual fee of ?GBP/Euro/Dollars.

It would be very pleasing to have an advert free site.

One more thing: I read on a screen with resolution af 1280 x 1024. In this mood I can´t see the whole front page so I have to "scroll" vertically to see Recebt Discussions. Parhaps the middle field could be narrowed a few dots to give room for the entire front page? Or am I doing something wrong?

12. Rich

Rich TalkEmount Veteran

Richard
    I think Michael Johansson makes a good point above about it being a paid site, but not sure whether it would work here.

I think care needs to be taken as it is such a great forum. "The" best camera forum I know of in fact. I have just canned a forum because of the bigoted opinions of some members and admins. Here, everyone respects the others opinion and thats how it should be.

For what its worth, if this were to become a paid forum, I'm in!
    The range of NEX experience and knowledge here is second to none. It is a very valuable resource not only to beginners and newcomers, but also to people like me who rely on cameras for a living.

13. NickCyprus

NickCyprus   Super Moderator Subscribing Member

Nick
    Just a personal opinion but I don't like the new forum/discussions layout :(

I mean everything is pulled at the left of the screen (username has moved in the upper row) which I find good for discussion threads...

...but on dedicated pic threads (ie. "Pic a day..." thread) it moved the images/photos from the center of the screen (that it was before) to the left which personally I find "ackward" (can't find a better word to describe it)

Just my 0,02c

14. Amin Sabet

Michael and Rich: I think a mandatory fee would kill this forum. Most people don't want to pay. I do understand your concerns, however, and will try my best to address them. On two of my other sites (SeriousCompacts.com and Mu-43.com), there is an option to donate, and the majority of ads are removed for donors. They still see affiliate ads, like when I announce a good deal on a certain lens or camera, but not the big banner ads like the B&H banner we have here. I am planning to do the same here, so that will be an option.

As for the 1280 x 1024 issue, I'll see what I can do. It's a balance between providing the best experience for a variety of browsers and screen resolutions.

I know what you mean. My preference is the same as yours, but I'm mostly on high res displays. It's a compromise because having a left column dedicated to the username, etc, means that 1024px-wide images (eg, Flickr "large" size) don't fit on the screen without horizontal scrolling for those with lower resolution displays. My experience from other forums is that if you give it a chance it becomes a non-issue over time. Please give it a couple weeks and then let me know what you think.

15. NickCyprus

Nick
    Sounds good ;)

16. Amin Sabet

Okay, so there is now an option to donate if you click the "Support TalkNEX" tab at the top of the screen. Donations are not expected, and they never will be. However, for those who don't want to see left column ads on the front page, you have the option to donate, and they will be removed from your view.

17. Michael Johansson

Michael Johansson TalkEmount Regular

Michael Johansson
    I tried to follow the Support TalkNex and came ti a post with a link that seem to be missing. At least nothing shows to click at where I belive there should be some sort of clickable link. It say:

To donate now, follow this link:

Am I doing something wrong?

18. Amin Sabet

There was a PayPal logo under that which was clickable. I went ahead and added a text link, thanks.

19. NickCyprus

Nick
    Well, Amin you were right in the end
    After a few days I got used to it and can probably say I may prefer it this way afterall ;)
    (I have a low res monitor at work and a high res at home so that might be why I didn't like it at first)