Canon EOS M sale

Discussion in 'Other Systems' started by addieleman, Jan 2, 2013.

1. addieleman

addieleman Passionate amateur Subscribing Member

Ad Dieleman
    Even quicker than I expected one well-known camera store in The Netherlands has a sale on the EOS M with 18-55mm kit lens: € 639. I'd really like Canon to come on strong on the mirrorless market but the EOS M doesn't seem to do it for them. Can't be only the slow AF because Sony manages to sell a few NEXes despite that...
    Advertisement

2. nianys

nianys TalkEmount All-Pro

Now it seems the M is REALLY bad with AF. Not NEX slow, but snail slow, LOL.

3. applemint

applemint TalkEmount Veteran

Price has dropped by another £100 in the UK too over the past couple of weeks, but even with the Canon cashback it's still £500 and I don't really see what it offers over say the Nex F3 at half the price (£250)? (Unless you have Canon AF lenses you want to use on it with the adapter).

Still some people seem to think £500 is a 'bargain' for the EOS-M!! Talk Photography - View Single Post - Canon EOS M

4. Poki

Poki TalkEmount Hall of Famer Charter Member

Yep, NEXes are actually not that bad. The X-Pro 1 and EOS M are all worse, only Nikon, Olympus and Panasonic are faster. (But yeah, Auto Exposure is slower at the Nikon 1 cameras than on the NEX, so when the lights change quickly the NEXes are just as fast ;)))

The guy who said this has (according to his signature) a 5D, a 7D and a couple of L lenses - or better said he got enough money that 500 don't hurt him.

I don't think the price of the EOS M is the problem though. It's a flawed product without a standout feature ...

5. Jefenator

Jefenator TalkEmount Top Veteran

Jeff
    The available 23mm f/2 pancake prime certainly caught my eye. (That said, I'm pretty hooked on the Sony/Zeiss 24mm - even if it does cost $100 more for each extra cm it sticks out.)

I'm a bit disappointed in Canon. (Part of me would really like for all the major players to step up and make my next mirrorless body decision really difficult.)

6. Luckypenguin

Luckypenguin TalkEmount Regular

Nic
    The EOS M looks to have probably the best touchscreen interface on the market, but the 650D shares the same interface and retains the hard controls which the M lacks. I think that it's launch price was too expensive for what you get compared to the competition, but if it is selling then some obviously feel that it is reasonable value.

7. Poki

Touchscreen controls? I don't want to sound bad or something, but really, that only works for casual shooters who shoot with a big amount of automation. If you shoot in manual mode or at least in A/S-priority modes, the tri navi is worlds better than ANY touchscreen interface that someone could possibly come up with. It's only good for choosing the focus point, but as many shoot center point only and move the camera after focusing it's not that important (for me at least). If Sony builds in a good focus point selection via a capacitive touchscreen, that's all it really needs.

8. Rich

Rich TalkEmount Veteran

Richard
    I find the touchscreen very useful on my 5N and I am far from a "casual shooter". I use it for all sorts of adjustments, but, yes, mostly for selecting focus point, that is a particularly useful facility that I don't have on my other cameras, and wish I did.

On the subject of the EOS M, I think Canon have made a very uncharacteristic slip up there!
    I have used Canon DSLR's for many years and would love to have a Canon mirrorless, but this thing is far from what I had hoped for.

9. christilou

christilou TalkEmount Regular

Christina
    I've been looking at it too but for the price it's too risky. I believe that it's actually quite fast to focus using the touch screen but as I said, too risky at that price !

10. Orange

Orange TalkEmount Veteran

It's not Orange!
    I really wanted the M having been a long time Canon-boy, but it was nowhere near the NEX-6 for me. But one thing - it does feel beautiful in the hand.

11. Grisu_HDH

Grisu_HDH TalkEmount Veteran

Markus
    Took a look at the M before getting my 5N because I was coming from a Canon G12 but just didn't like the camera in the shop. I thought it wouldn't be a good idea to buy a first generation M because being the first EVIL for Canon they will make mistakes...

12. Poki

I don't like all this "It's a first generation, so I don't buy it" generally, but whatever, the EOS-M simply is a flawed camera in so many ways ...

13. Rich

Rich TalkEmount Veteran

Richard
    Yeah, I generally agree with this. I have bought into "first generation" a number of times and haven't been bitten. That said, I am somewhat more wary since buying into the Fuji X PRO 1, which is similarly flawed in a number of ways. In future I will just wait a little longer, and read more actual "real user" reviews before making the decision to buy.

I cannot help but wonder why the likes of Fuji and Canon, and indeed some other manufacturers release what appear to be Beta projects onto the market without proper R and D at user level. Fuji in particular are guilty of this, and whereas they brought the X100 up to speed with firmware upgrades, they have so far failed with the XP1. Hopefully they will do in due course.

Sometimes buying into the first generation can be a leap of faith.

14. Luckypenguin

Luckypenguin TalkEmount Regular

Nic
    As long as there is enough information around to make an informed decision, I don't have any particular issue with buying a first generation product. I would however be very reluctant to pre-order a first generation product (or even subsequent generations for that matter) before any real user reports start to emerge.

15. Amamba

Amamba TalkEmount Top Veteran

Generation aside, their whole execution seems flawed. Canon is great in DSLRs, unfortunately they goofed it up with M. The intent clearly was to be able to use current lineup of Canon system with new camera, the problem is the strength of that system doesn't translate well into mirrorless .

They have great lenses, but attaching the 70-200/2.8 IS to a M would be outright silly and defeating the purpose of having a mirrorless. Even my Sigma 17-50/2.8 OS which has a (relatively) modest size for a DSLR lens would be huge on my Nex, esp. with an adapter. Why spend all that money on a compact camera and an expensive adapter, just to plop lenses on it that are way too large ? And same goes to their flashes. You lose in ergonomics and features and gain very little in weight / size.

The sensor on M is the same as on their current DSLRs, which means the dynamic range and low light capability is just a tad worse than on Nex. And probably on Fuji as well.

So, unless you're a Canon shooter with a myriad of accessories, and you only plan on using the small camera occasionally, why buy into M for mirrorless ? Pretty much every other system is better. OM has better lenses, Nex has better sensor and still more "real" small lenses. Granted, there's lots of great about Canon system, but you need their DSLR to use these goodies efficiently.

They may eventually come up with enough small lenses to justify getting a Canon mirrorless, but for now I think it's a flop. SL1, on the other hand, looks promising.