• Welcome to TalkEmount.com, the best Sony E-mount camera and photography community on the web.
    Click here to join for free and enjoy unlimited photo uploads in our forums.

Superboat races in Cocoa Beach, Florida

SRHEdD

TalkEmount Top Veteran
Real Name
Steve
A7ii w/SAL55300 and LA-EA4. ISO640, Shutter priority 1/1250, f/14, center-weighted metering.

DSC01968c.jpg
ILCE-7M2    DT 55-300mm F4.5-5.6 SAM    300mm    f/14.0    1/1250s    ISO 640

SRHEdD

TalkEmount Top Veteran
Real Name
Steve
You know, I've looked at this post over the past few days. That 10MP crop mode isn't all that it's cracked up to be. I know the ISO640 didn't help, but this is just rather average in detail. I think that same lens on my A77ii would have resulted in a better image, or the 55-210 on my A6000. Lesson learned, just because I can use the LA-EA4 to put an A lens on the A7ii, doesn't mean I SHOULD!

SRHEdD

TalkEmount Top Veteran
Real Name
Steve
Standing on shore, about 75-100 yards away. They race very close to the breakers. on the outgoing lap (going to right in pic). Other shots on the return lap are about twice that far away. The 55-300 is an APS-C lens, so it crops down to 10MP unless I turn that off (and then get vignetting).

Last edited:

Dan Euritt

TalkEmount Veteran
You know, I've looked at this post over the past few days. That 10MP crop mode isn't all that it's cracked up to be. I know the ISO640 didn't help, but this is just rather average in detail

hey, i like that shot :)

suggestions for minor pq improvement... f/14 is into diffraction territory even on full frame, f/8(because you are effectively shooting crop) or wider would have fixed that, and allowed for less iso.

thx for the post.

fractal

Super Moderator
Real Name
Chris
Cool shot!

To further @Dan Euritt point, I would consider shooting at an even bigger aperture ( f/4) to get more separation of the subject. I agree that the same lens on the a77ii would have given you a higher resolution shot.

Nexnut

TalkEmount Top Veteran
Real Name
Ken
I think that same lens on my A77ii would have resulted in a better image, or the 55-210 on my A6000.
Yep, I would have picked the A6000 for shots like this one - there`s all the light you'd need for a shot around f5.6 at low ISO. I'd even pick a manual zoom lens over the SAL55300, mount the rig on a monopod and shoot short bursts with focus peaking. Sounds like fun but maybe that`s just me.

SRHEdD

TalkEmount Top Veteran
Real Name
Steve
All good points. I just can't bring myself to put my beloved monopod in salt water though. I use the Bogen/Manfroto with the tiny legs built into the base, getting that all submerged in salt water gives me the heebs.

With any lens, with these ideal conditions, I should have gone manual on everything, picked a good shutter speed/aperture combination and zone focused.

Alas...too many beers in the VIP tent I guess (we sponsor that boat).

Love the discussion!

Last edited:

WNG

TalkEmount Legend
Real Name
Will
Regardless of final resolution, you nailed it. Boat planed off the water, in focus...Nice shot!
I too would conclude on using the a6000 and 55210. Just because of the speedy action. Good to have OSS, 11 fps, and AF.

Aside: I own the same Manfrotto monopod and simply adore it. I wouldn't be able to put it through a salt water assault either. Although the aluminum is anodized, those legs and cap are steel. Perhaps spraying it all down in Silicone the night before, and hosing it off with fresh water asap, would be ok.

Latest threads

Top Bottom