Show what your adapted lens looks like on your NEX camera

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by Amin Sabet, Aug 7, 2011.

1. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet   Administrator

There are some sweet looking adapted lens-camera combos out there. Don't be shy. Show us yours!
    Advertisement

2. Travisennis

Travisennis TalkEmount Veteran Charter Member

I'll get things started. Here is my Nex-3 with my Contax C/Y Carl Zeiss lenses.

[​IMG]
    Contax Carl Ziess 28mm 2.8

[​IMG]
    Contax Carl Ziess 50mm 1.4

These are big lenses on the Nex, but they perform wonderfully. Sometimes I think about selling them and replacing them with rangefinder lenses to make the camera and lens combo smaller, but then I put them on and go out shooting and I can't bear to part with them.

3. Amin Sabet

They do look large compared to the body but nice looking nonetheless. I prefer the looks of the NEX-3 to those of the NEX-5, although both are very comfortable to hold.

4. Travisennis

I preferred the NEX-5 on looks alone, but the NEX-3 felt better in my hand and that made my decision for me. Here is my NEX-3 with my Voigtlander 28mm.

[​IMG]
    Voigtlander 28mm 2.0 Ultron

5. Yves Gajardo

Yves Gajardo TalkEmount Veteran Charter Member

Yves
    Those legacy lenses look great on the NEX cameras. I can't wait to get the NEX7.

6. RT_Panther

RT_Panther TalkEmount Veteran Charter Member

7. Travisennis

RT, I thought my Contax lenses looked big! How well does that Alpha lens work on the Nex? How is the AF?

8. RT_Panther

RT_Panther TalkEmount Veteran Charter Member

There's some distortion going on - DT lenses are not as large as you think. Autofocus is slow but it's not due to the lens...remember it was the LA-EA1 Adapter that received the firmware update to autofocus....

[​IMG]
    A-Mount vs E-Mount by RedTail_Panther, on Flickr

9. BruPri

BruPri TalkEmount Regular Charter Member

New C3

[​IMG]105 Micro,

[​IMG]55 f1.2

10. Amin Sabet

In general, it's best to avoid using the attachment system for uploading images. You'll run out of space quickly that way. The better solutions are either to host elsewhere (eg, Flickr) or to upload to an album and then embed in the post using the code provided.

11. robertro

robertro TalkEmount Rookie Charter Member

Mystery lens: 30mm f1.9 on NEX-5

I wanted a compact and fast normal lens, and found a nice 30mm f1.9. The lens + camera is 1/4" thinner than my Olympus E-PL1 + 20mm lens.

Any guesses about its identity?

Cheers, R

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

12. Penny

Penny TalkEmount Regular Charter Member

Havn't a clue what it is but it reminds me of the Old film Olympus Trip camera which I owned in a bye-gone-age:eek:

13. robertro

New NEX 30mm f1.9 lens

It's not from an Olympus Trip 35, but you are not too far away - the Selenium light meter covered by prisms was common in that era :)

14. Amin Sabet

I'm stumped too. It's a nice size for the camera!

15. macjim

macjim TalkEmount Regular Charter Member

What does that equate to in 35mm terms and do you have full metering etc when mounted to the Sony? Looks an interesting combo.

---
    - Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

16. robertro

Crop factor on NEX

Just multiply the focal length of the lens by 1.5x. i.e. the 28mm f2 Voigtlander above has an effective focal length of 28x1.5 = 42mm. My 30mm f1.9 "mystery lens" has an effective focal length of 45mm.

Adapted lenses are usually used in Aperture Priority mode; you set the aperture manually on the lens and the camera automatically sets the shutter speed.

If you are used to 35mm, note that the aperture will be as set on the lens for light-gathering ability, but will provide more depth of field than on a 35mm camera (about 1.5 stops more; e.g. an f2 setting will give the depth of field of an f4 lens on a 35mm camera). The latter can be an advantage or a disadvantage, depending on what you are trying to achieve (shooting wide-open for razor-thin depth of field versus shooting wide-open to gather light and still getting sufficient DoF to capture the subject).

Above all, adapted lenses greatly increase your options and give you access to some very fast, small, special purpose, and high quality optics. Typically, portrait and macro lenses are the first manual focus lenses that folks acquire.

17. robertro

The EYEs have it

The size fits perfectly; the large lenses that Sony has released leave me cold. I'd consider the 16mm, but it seems to get more negative reviews than positive, and it's a bit wide for most uses.

The lens is from....drum roll....a Konica EYE half-frame rangefinder camera, like this one:

[​IMG]
    Konica Eye by mgtelu, on Flickr (not mine, mine was far more beat up)

18. Travisennis

Macjim, as Robertro said the Voigtlander 28mm is the equivalent of a 42mm in full-frame terms. You can shoot in full manual mode or in aperture priority mode as you would with any other camera. However, It iis also possible to shoot in shutter priority mode but instead of the camera adjusting the aperture, which is manually adjusted on the lens itself, it will adjust the ISO if you have the camera set to auto-ISO. From my experience it will automatically choose ISO values between 200 and 1600. It is actually a very useful way to shoot especially since the NEX raw files are pretty free of noise and quite easy to process up to ISO 1600.

19. macjim

macjim TalkEmount Regular Charter Member

Thank you, most interesting. Yes, I would like to use other lenses other than the kit lenses to get better F-stops and sharper glass.

---
    - Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

20. alphaone

alphaone New to TalkEmount Charter Member

NEX-3 with Nikkor 50/1.2 AIS
    [​IMG]

NEX-3 with ZF 21/2.8
    [​IMG]