• Welcome to TalkEmount.com, the best Sony E-mount camera and photography community on the web.
    Click here to join for free and enjoy unlimited photo uploads in our forums.

Advice on legacy 50mm?

AlwaysOnAuto

TalkEmount Hall of Famer
I think the maximal aperture is f/4 (not f1.4) and yes I own one but haven't used it often. It is sharp at the center and not a very complex build (3 groups, 4 elements; Tessar).
The drawbacks are the slow f/4 and the minimum focus distance as a 50mm for living subjects and macro. As a normal lens and outside I wouldn't say it is a bad lens and it is build very small in a tough body.

DOH!
That'll teach me to look at a lens without my glasses on.
Yeah, f/4 wouldn't cut it for me I'm afraid.
Back to the hunt...

WNG

TalkEmount Legend
Real Name
Will
Does the UV treatment really work? I don't have first hand experience but I read somewhere it is not as easy as some might say...

Yes, the UV really reverses the yellowing. It's not as easy if you use the Sun as UV source. It won't be optimal exposure and can take weeks.
An IKEA LED desk lamp has been claimed to work quite well and fast. Any portable UV source should work. That includes fluorescent tube for UV wavelengths...ie EEPROM/EPLD erasing lamps, UV LED flashlights, etc. Just make sure there are no glass filters between the source the lens element to be treated. The majority of Takumars have the rear element doped with Thorium.

RnR

TalkEmount Regular
Real Name
Hasse
Sorry for waking an slightly old thread up... but noone have mentioned the Nikon 50mm f1.8 AI/AIS. Scary sharp wide open. Used mine with a Speedbooster on m43 and from wide open it out resolved the sensor. Should be stupendous on ff.

riskinstrument

TalkEmount Regular
Sorry for waking an slightly old thread up... but noone have mentioned the Nikon 50mm f1.8 AI/AIS. Scary sharp wide open. Used mine with a Speedbooster on m43 and from wide open it out resolved the sensor. Should be stupendous on ff.

Went back and read the thread, realized I should have typed 1.4 instead of 1.2 for my Olympus Zuiko.

Nexnut

TalkEmount Top Veteran
Real Name
Ken
My personal favorites from back in the day (in no special order - except for the first lens): 45mm Contax G Planar, 50mm/f1.7 Konica AR, 55mm/f.3.5 Micro Nikkor, 50mm/f1.7 Zeiss C/Y, but then I love my different comatose 50mm/f1.8 Zuikos for the occasional flower shots, the Helios for the weird bokeh and so on and so forth. In the end I'm more of a 28mm-35mm FOV shooter anyway.

Nexnut

TalkEmount Top Veteran
Real Name
Ken
Just got a Nikkor 28 F2. Going to Canada with me.
I just dug this up from one of my first posts here, three years ago. A great performing lens, producing beautiful sun stars at f5.6 and above. I still have it but haven't used it in a while.

IMG_20120429_140731.jpg
   ---            

Latest threads

Top Bottom