What Can Schneider-Kreuznach do for the Sony NEX System?

Discussion in 'Front Page News, Rumors, Reviews, and Articles' started by Amin Sabet, Jun 17, 2012.

1. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet   Administrator

Some of you may know that Schneider-Kreuznach recently announced the development of a Super Angulon 14mm f/2 autofocus lens for Micro 4/3.
    Advertisement

For those who aren't familiar with Schneider-Kreuznach, they are a nearly 100-year-old German company known for many innovative lens designs. While they have partnered with Samsung to allow Schneider-branded lenses on Samsung digital cameras, their new mirrorless lenses appear to be the "real deal", designed and manufactured by Schneider in Germany with a price tag to match.

7186818719_75bc1054f2_o.jpg
    According to the German site Photoscala (Google translation), Schneider is considering the development of a 30/1.4 and 60/2.4 macro for Micro 4/3. However, these focal lengths correspond to traditional focal length equivalents for APS-C (close to 50mm and 90mm) rather than Micro 4/3 (60mm and 120mm), suggesting the possibility that they are being designed for APS-C and adapted for use on Micro 4/3. If the same holds true for the 14mm Super Angulon, then NEX users may be in for a very high performance, fast, 21mm equivalent lens.

Sony already has the relationship with Zeiss, but the Schneider lenses seem to occupy a different level in terms of pricing. We can only hope that if Schneider makes lenses for Sony NEX, they will offer a level of performance commensurate with their price. Regardless, more lens choices for the Sony E mount can only be a good thing.

2. Bolampau

Bolampau TalkEmount Veteran

Paul
    I've got high hopes for Schneider's potential lenses. I've used a few of their large format lenses and they were absolutely fantastic. Will they only be MF though, as I've not heard of them doing autofocus in the past........not sure of this though as I assume the Samsung lenses are AF?

Anyway, personally I'd be more than happy for MF only lenses.
    Cheers,
    Paul

3. Amin Sabet

The Samsung lenses are AF but made by Samsung (in the case of small sensor cameras) or Pentax (in the case of DSLR lenses) and rebranded as Schneider. As far as I know, these Schneider lenses for mirrorless are the first autofocus lenses designed and produced by Schneider in Germany.

4. Bolampau

Paul
    Thanks Amin,
    I'll be very keen to see what they come up with as their reputation is second to none!
    Cheers,
    Paul

5. JJJPhoto

JJJPhoto TalkEmount Regular Charter Member

I won't object to any company that makes more AF lenses for the NEX E-mount. It's frustrating that I can count on three fingers the native lenses that I "really" like using with my NEX-3. I want more fast, quality primes to use with NEX cameras. As it stands now my NEX-3 only comes out from time to time ... and while there are things I like about that camera there are more things I find frustrating (not the least of which is limited selection of fast native primes with AF).

6. Poki

Poki TalkEmount Hall of Famer Charter Member

I would be very interested in a 14mm f/2 lens for the NEX system!

But I'm not familiar with Schneider Kreuznach's pricing. What do you mean by "... but the Schneider lenses seem to occupy a different level in terms of pricing." - Does this mean they'll be much more expensive than the current 24mm Zeiss lens? Until now I thought the Zeiss is one of the most expensive APS-C lenses built today, so I don't expect it to be much more expensive.

7. Bolampau

Paul
    Hi Poki,
    Obviously, we'll have to see what they come up with but I'd guess they would try and compete with Zeiss in terms of price.
    Cheers,
    Paul

8. Amin Sabet

According to Photoscala.de, the Schneider 14/2 will be priced under 1,500 EUR. This is not expensive compared to other high end lenses made in Germany, but it's more expensive than the Japan-made Zeiss lenses.

9. Phoenix

Phoenix TalkEmount Top Veteran Charter Member

Phoenix Gonzales
    It may be expensive, but depending on the performance I believe there will always be a market for it. One of the criticisms for the e-mount Zeiss was it's price, but after countless user reviews praising it's performance there has been a good demand for it and it usually out of stock.

10. Bolampau

Paul
    Hi Amin,
    Have they confirmed that this lens will be available in E mount?
    Thanks,
    Paul

11. Amin Sabet

Hi Paul - No, it has not been confirmed. There was a German site saying that Schneider was looking at making NEX versions of lenses, but that text was pulled and replaced, so this is all speculation.

12. Bolampau

Paul
    Exactly right, it's a cracking lens!
    Also, just look at how high Leica prices are now for new and secondhand lenses.:( Apparently, there are very long delays in the supply of new Leica lenses even though they have increased their manufacturing capacity.
    So, I think Schneider will be very competitively priced and, combined with their excellent pedigree, will sell very well.
    I think Leica's bouyant sales are also due to their compatibility with MFT and APS-C formats.
    Cheers,
    Paul

13. Bolampau

Paul
    Ahh, I'm really disappointed to read this! I'd have been really interested in that 14mm f2 lens.:(
    Maybe they'll reconsider!!!??

14. Dioptrick

Dioptrick TalkEmount All-Pro

15. Bolampau

Paul
    What an outrageous price for the Leica Noctilux 50mm f1.2 !!!!!
    I checked the Ghester Sartorious book on identifying Leica lenses and he describes it as being rare+ as well. Only 2000 units were made between 1966 & 1975. BUT that price is astronomical!
    Cheers,
    Paul

16. Phoenix

Phoenix Gonzales
    A bit off topic here, but why would a used 1.2 Noct cost more than a brand new .95 Noct when the updated version is sharper in all apertures and faster as well? If I really needed something that fast, I'd just wait until September and get an M Mount SLR Magic .90 hyperprime for 1/10th of the cost which is sharper, faster, cheaper (also a little bit bigger, oh well) than both Nocts, the only difference is it'll perform better and it wont have a little red dot.

17. Bolampau

Paul
    Hi Phoenix,
    I guess its all down to rarity and what Collectors will pay for it - presumably they see it as an investment in the long term. Too rich for my blood and I can't see the point of collecting stuff if you're only gonna hide it away! Far better to get a beater lens and get out there and take photos!
    Cheers,
    Paul

18. Ray Vardy

Ray Vardy TalkEmount Regular

Well said indeed Paul!

19. Phoenix

Phoenix Gonzales
    I agree, I guess the reality of it is not everyone who buys photographic gear will necessarily use it, they may have other plans for it like an investment, or collectibles. Likewise, way too rich for me.

20. Dioptrick

Dioptrick TalkEmount All-Pro

Now you're singing my song! :)

--

Back to topic...

I've put some serious thought on the question you posed Amin - "What Can (insert any company name here) do for the Sony NEX System?"

Back in the heyday of film photography, the technology was such that image quality hinged literally on lens quality. Once the film was exposed, that was it... it was un-editable and permanent. But we live in the digital age now. Images can be sharpened if not sharp enough, softened if too sharp, straightened if distorted, vignetting or contrast added or removed, and emulated into every conceivable Colour or B&W film tone, etc... by software, within reason.

In every sector of technology the "law of diminishing returns" apply. To develop a poor lens design will cost a small amount and will yield huge improvements. To further develop a very good lens will cost a lot and yield very small improvements. Yes, there are poor lenses (deliberately made for a specific price-point - not for the lack of technological ability) and there are good ones... but in the digital age, a "super-wonder-lens" no longer has the pivotal impact it once had to justify its developmental price tag. In the advent of photo-software and low-noise sensors, "tack sharp" and "fast" is no longer the exclusive domain of supreme-optics.

However brand reputation has been etched deep into the photographic psyche and is likely to linger for many years despite of this.

A modest company like Sigma could respond with an alternative to any new NEX native lens released - at a cheaper price. Now that's risky business. If Sony develops a "super-noiseless-sensor" and coupled this with lens-dedicated image corrective killer software, they might be able to pull-off a pancake zoom with near perfect optical performance that can rival any prime lens. That's what I would like to see someone do for the Sony NEX system. I doubt if Sony would let anyone else do it for them though.