Ads by Google

B&H Photo

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Thanks

First steps in image processing

Dear all,
    I need some help and guidance for my first steps in image processing.

I have done in the past a bit of photoshop cs, like read 2-3 books and run few tutorials. In the past I was composing and making my own posters.

I would like to ask you which are the programs you use for editing jpeg and raw images and if I can use my photoshop cs previous knowledge for some of this work. I think here there are two different things also one needs to mention.

Which Program and techniques I need to learn
    and
    how to understand what type of improvements an image can get.

any books (I do like books) to suggest so I can start workin on?
    Regards
    Alex

Thanks

I do everything in Photoshop, have been doing it for years, from jpeg files. Recently I'm adding some Snapseed for quick and dirty vignetting and borders.

Thanks
    Real Name
    Markus

- ACDSee Pro 6
    - Adobe Photoshop Elements 11

Think the choice of the software depends on the needs and the budget you have...
    You have CS knowledge?
    Than go for
    1. CS6 if you can afford it
    2. PSE11 cause it's good and it's much cheaper
    3. CS2 cause it's completely free available (but does not have new Camera Raw support)
    Sony NEX-5T/SEL35F18OSS/SEL1855OSS/SEL55210OSS/SEL16F28+ECU1+ECF1/Minolta MD 50-1.4/Sigma MD Macro 50-2.8
    "Of course the equipment was expensive and I do not have better pictures. But now I have more fun with my bad pictures." (Heiko Kanzler)
    Flickr

Thanks
    Real Name
    Chad

Lightroom 4 (previously Lr2) for 99.9% of my post-processing.
    CS5 occasionally for processing, but mostly for playing around.
    Last edited by Nubster; February 10th, 2013 at 09:49 PM.
    Sony NEX-6 * Sigma 19mm and 30mm /2.8 * Minolta MC W.ROKKOR-X 24mm /2.8 * Oly PEN-F 38mm /1.8 * Nikkor 50mm /1.8 * Minolta MC ROKKOR 50mm /1.4 * Tamron 90mm /2.8 macro

No idea how to use any of it.

Thanks

i have only ever used PS elements,it suits me fine for what I want to do and it's a lot cheaper and easier to learn, I only ever take jpegs though, so I cannot vouch for what it's like with raw images
    Don't judge a fish by its ability to climb trees

Thanks

I can't afford PS CS6, and PSE11 is sh*** imho. So, while not being able going the Adobe Camera RAW + Photoshop route I found a nice setup that works for me: Aperture 3 for developing the RAW files and editing the photos in most cases, Pixelmator for photo manipulation and a few Aperture plug-ins (most from Nik Software, but also a few others) for fine-tuning, HDR-processing and so on.

The advantage here is that you can get these things pretty cheap. Aperture costs only 60€, Pixelmator is available for 16€ and the whole Nik Software bundle costs about 200€.

But try the demo versions before you decide what to use. I have to admit that Lightroom has some much more powerful tools than Aperture has - I simply prefer the management parts of Aperture, that's why I still use it.

NEX-7 . Touit 2.8/12 . Sonnar T* E 1.8/24 . Touit 2.8/50M (pre-ordered)
    [Visit my portfolio] 500px Flickr 1x

Thanks
    Thanked 1,012 Times in 371 Posts
    Real Name
    David

I used to use Photoshop for almost everything. But I got a free copy of Lightroom 4 with my NEX-6, so now I've switched. I don't know what books to suggest for a beginner. But when I've tried to learn a new piece of software, I go to my local bookstore and browse the shelves for something that suits my level of expertise.
    The Photograph is never taken, it is alway given.
    Sony A7 | Sony SEL1018 | Canon FD 24mm f/2.8 | Sony SEL2470Z | Sony SEL35F28Z |
    Canon LTM 50mm f/1.4 | Canon FD 85mm f/1.8 | Nikon 180mm f/2.8 AI-S ED |
    My Flickr Page

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by WoodWorks View Post
    I used to use Photoshop for almost everything. But I got a free copy of Lightroom 4 with my NEX-6, so now I've switched. I don't know what books to suggest for a beginner. But when I've tried to learn a new piece of software, I go to my local bookstore and browse the shelves for something that suits my level of expertise.
    As for the learning curve - I always go the try & fail route. It's fun to try new things out, to see what each slider does and to learn the software you chose step by step. A few dozen photos later you know it better than after reading every tutorial out there.

NEX-7 . Touit 2.8/12 . Sonnar T* E 1.8/24 . Touit 2.8/50M (pre-ordered)
    [Visit my portfolio] 500px Flickr 1x

Thanks
    Thanked 1,012 Times in 371 Posts
    Real Name
    David

Quote Originally Posted by Poki View Post
    As for the learning curve - I always go the try & fail route. It's fun to try new things out, to see what each slider does and to learn the software you chose step by step. A few dozen photos later you know it better than after reading every tutorial out there.
    Oh, I'm a BIG fan of the "what does this button do?" method of learning software. But I have also picked up plenty of hidden features from a good instruction manual, features that would have otherwise taken months or even years to stumble across by trial and error.
    The Photograph is never taken, it is alway given.
    Sony A7 | Sony SEL1018 | Canon FD 24mm f/2.8 | Sony SEL2470Z | Sony SEL35F28Z |
    Canon LTM 50mm f/1.4 | Canon FD 85mm f/1.8 | Nikon 180mm f/2.8 AI-S ED |
    My Flickr Page

Thanks
    Real Name
    Colin

I use Aperture with plugins from Nik Software and OnOne for everything when shooting RAW. I find it all quite intuitive to use. I looked at Lightroom but I like the phot management of Aperture more. I know nothing about Photoshop and it looks like to much of a time sink to learn right now.
    NEX-7 NEX 5n
    SEL 18-55mm /3.5-5.6 1 black/1 silver SEL 50mm /1.8 SEL 55-210mm /4.5-6.3 SEL 16mm /2.8 VCL-EUC1 SEL 35mm /1.8 Sigma 19mm 2.8
    Vigtlander Nokton Classic 40mm /1.4 MC
    Nikkor 16mm 2.8 fisheye Nikkor 50mm 1.4
    Vivitar Series 1 70-210mm 3.5 Macro (Kiron)
    SMC Takumar 105mm 2.8
    Panagor 90mm 2.8 Macro PMC
    ChangshaNotes

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast