Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Real Name
    Alex

Buying lense at 85-100mm

Dear all,
    I will be buying me soon a lens between 85-100. Below you will find the list of the lenses I found at acceptable quality and price and I wanted to ask your opinion regarding their optical performance (in which I have not a clue and I was able to spot only few of review)

1. Rollei Rolleinar-MC 85mm f/2.8
    2. Canon FD 100mm F2.8 S.S.C.
    3. Vivitar 100 mm F:2,8
    4. M 42,Revue Telefoto 2,8/100mm

perhaps also these two
    5. Minolta MD 135mm 1:2,8 (135 is kind too large but had very sweet price)
    6. Nikon Serie E 100 mm 2,8 (the most expensive one, I will consider it only if it is like two times better than the aforementioned)

I would say that personal preference is 1,2,4 because of their small size, but this only judging on how they look like.

Do you know any of these lenses and have a word to say?

Regards

Thanks
    Real Name
    Tom

Quote Originally Posted by alaios View Post
    Dear all,
    I will be buying me soon a lens between 85-100. Below you will find the list of the lenses I found at acceptable quality and price and I wanted to ask your opinion regarding their optical performance (in which I have not a clue and I was able to spot only few of review)

1. Rollei Rolleinar-MC 85mm f/2.8
    2. Canon FD 100mm F2.8 S.S.C.
    3. Vivitar 100 mm F:2,8
    4. M 42,Revue Telefoto 2,8/100mm

perhaps also these two
    5. Minolta MD 135mm 1:2,8 (135 is kind too large but had very sweet price)
    6. Nikon Serie E 100 mm 2,8 (the most expensive one, I will consider it only if it is like two times better than the aforementioned)

I would say that personal preference is 1,2,4 because of their small size, but this only judging on how they look like.

Do you know any of these lenses and have a word to say?

Regards
    I have a Minolta MD 135mm f:2.8 that I have been using for many years. It is one of my favorite lenses, and was frequently used for informal portrait shots with my film cameras. When I moved to autofocus cameras, the AF version of this lens was one of the first lenses that I bought.

I have not yet used the MD 135mm lens on my NEX-6 that I bought last week, but I was so happy with it on my old MF film cameras that I definitely plan to try it on the NEX. I suspect that I may not use it as much on the NEX as I did on my film cameras, because the 1.5 crop factor will change the circumstances in which it is the optimum lens length, but I expect that it will almost always be in my camera bag unless I get a surprise when I try it out.

- Tom -

Thanks
    Real Name
    Alex

Btw, I keep searching on the internet for Revue lenses but no luck find anything.
    In the ebay the lens was registered to the database as

M 42,Revue Telefoto 2,8/100mm

M 42 seems to be the adapter and Revue the manufacturer... but heck if there is such manufacturer, or that he ever produced the 100mm lens.

Thanks
    Real Name
    Ad

Btw, I keep searching on the internet for Revue lenses but no luck find anything.
    In the ebay the lens was registered to the database as

M 42,Revue Telefoto 2,8/100mm

M 42 seems to be the adapter and Revue the manufacturer... but heck if there is such manufacturer, or that he ever produced the 100mm lens.
    Revue was a brand name used primarily in Germany but also in The Netherlands. They did not manufacture the lenses themselves but bought them from third-party suppliers. At the time they were cheap and generally good value.

M42 is designating the type of lens mount, it's a screw-thread lens with a diameter of 42mm, fitting cameras like Asahi Pentax and Praktica (East German brand) screw-thread mount cameras. You'll need a NEX-M42 adapter to mount it on your NEX. I'm not an expert in Revue but it's not unlikely that they had a 100mm in their lens line-up. I wouldn't pay more than some 20-30 euros for it, for 60-70 euros you can get a Minolta 100/2.5 for instance.

Thanks
    Real Name
    Alex

Quote Originally Posted by addieleman View Post
    ..... I'm not an expert in Revue but it's not unlikely that they had a 100mm in their lens line-up. I wouldn't pay more than some 20-30 euros for it, for 60-70 euros you can get a Minolta 100/2.5 for instance.
    Where do you find these prices?? Ebay.de all lenses are more than 90 euros.... what I am doing wrong here?

Alex

Thanks
    Real Name
    Alex

Just to update with the current prices from ebay.de

Rollei Rolleinar-MC 85mm f/2.8 : 120 euros + 7 euros transportation

Minolta MD Tele Rokkor 100mm F/2.5: 119 euros + 0 euros transportation

Nikon Serie E 100 mm 2,8: 139,90 euros + 7 euros transportation

Minolta MD 135mm 1:2,8 : 95 euros + 4,90 euros transportation

Canon FD 100mm F2.8 S.S.C.: 119 euros + 0 euros transportation

Vivitar 100 mm F:2,8: 129 euros + 5,90 euros transportation

these are all lenses at good condition with no scratches or moisture. There are lenses with such problems (which I do not want to buy and cost like 20 euros less)....

Why are so expensive?
    Alex

Thanks
    Thanked 1,229 Times in 531 Posts
    Real Name
    Jim

Why are so expensive?
    Alex
    Supply and demand. Before mirrorless cameras, these lenses were relatively inexpensive. Once mirrorless hit the market all those old lenses came out of the closet once people figured out they would sell for more than peanuts.
    lumen capere… because it's fleeting

Thanks
    Real Name
    Ad

Where do you find these prices?? Ebay.de all lenses are more than 90 euros.... what I am doing wrong here?

Alex
    I was referring to local prices I see on a Dutch classified advertising site. A month ago I bought a 100mm there in a set for € 70 and after reselling what I didn't want it netted to € 45, I think. Buy-it-now prices on eBay vary in general from a bit pricey to ridiculously expensive; I almost always wait for an auction with a reasonable starting price. If you want to get a good idea of actual market prices, you should look at completed auctions, the ones where the item has actually been sold. The macro 100mm lenses tend to go for well over € 100 there, but those are not the ones you should look for if you want a portrait lens: too slow and needlessly expensive. I didn't see any completed auctions for the Minolta 100/2.5.

I'm talking about Minolta here because that's what I know about best, but the same holds generally for other premium brand 100/105mm lenses like those of Canon, Nikon, Konica, Pentax/Takumar, Olympus etc, maybe with somewhat different prices.

Thanks

I'd look for an OM 100/2.8. Tiny, lovely and wonderful IQ and character. They sell for around 100€.
    I did have the FL 85/1.8 which is a nice lens but big and heavy. The OM 100/2.8 is a pretty special lens.

Thanks

I'd look for an OM 100/2.8. Tiny, lovely and wonderful IQ and character. They sell for around 100€.
    I did have the FL 85/1.8 which is a nice lens but big and heavy. The OM 100/2.8 is a pretty special lens.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast