Ads by Google

B&H Photo

Thanks

New Sony E-Mount lens roadmap!

5+ new lenses this year - and every year from now on!

Hot! New Sony E-mount roadmap. | sonyalpharumors

Will be interesting to see what the Zeiss lens will be. Another high quality zoom lens besides the G zoom lens?

NEX-7 . Touit 2.8/12 . Sonnar T* E 1.8/24 . Touit 2.8/50M (pre-ordered)
    [Visit my portfolio] 500px Flickr 1x

Thanks
    Real Name
    Yohan

Quote Originally Posted by Poki View Post
    Will be interesting to see what the Zeiss lens will be. Another high quality zoom lens besides the G zoom lens?
    Weren't they rumored to be 12/2.8, 32/1.8, 50/2.8 macro? I think Zeiss is adding a aperture ring to the X-mount versions. Wish they would do the same for E-mount.
    A7, FE 55, Tamron SP 17mm f3.5

Thanks
    Real Name
    Yohan

Thanks
    Real Name
    olli

Don't think the high quality standard zoom will be Zeiss. Two reasons:
    1. On every previous version of the roadmap it has been identified as a G lens.
    2. Zeiss have made it clear they don't like optical stabilization (most recently at the announcement of the Zeiss E-mount primes) and I can't imagine Sony launching a high end (and high-price) standard zoom without OSS.

Any Japanese speakers here?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Yohan View Post
    Weren't they rumored to be 12/2.8, 32/1.8, 50/2.8 macro? I think Zeiss is adding a aperture ring to the X-mount versions. Wish they would do the same for E-mount.
    These three lenses are NOT built, saled or branded as Sony lenses in any way! They therefor don't show up on this roadmap.

Yep, I too hope the Zeiss lens will be a prime (sth like a 60 or 85mm), but that would be too good to be true. Might as well be that the Zeiss is a non-stabilized 16-50 mm f/2.8 and the G is a slower, stabilized and somewhat cheaper 16-80 mm f/3.5-4.5.

Thanks
    Real Name
    Yohan

These three lenses are NOT built, saled or branded as Sony lenses in any way! They therefor don't show up on this roadmap.
    Interesting. How are these different from the Zeiss 24mm which does appear in the roadmap? CZ 24 is Zeiss branded but Sony manufactured and the new primes are Zeiss branded and Zeiss manufactured?
    A7, FE 55, Tamron SP 17mm f3.5

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Yohan View Post
    Interesting. How are these different from the Zeiss 24mm which does appear in the roadmap? CZ 24 is Zeiss branded but Sony manufactured and the new primes are Zeiss branded and Zeiss manufactured?
    That's how it works out. However, I highly doubt the new ones will be Zeiss manufactured - they are probably will be built by Cosina or the likes in Japan.

How they're different from the 24mm CZ lens? They won't be. The only differences are the missing "Sony" logo as well as that they are also available for Fuji cameras (something Sony obviously wouldn't do). Are they better? I don't think they need to be - the 24mm lens is a wonderful lens in every aspect.

Thanks
    Real Name
    Tom

I think Zeiss will have their hands full competing in the X-mount realm. Those Fuji primes are already very, very good. I bet they're banking on people choosing them for name recognition alone (which is funny since Cosina makes the majority of their products these days anyway).

Considering this forum, and I imagine others like it, is filled with legacy glass, I'm surprised Sony doesn't make a real nice retro styled prime with an aperture ring and a GOOD focus ring (which stops at infinity), giving you the manual feel, better focusing feel of a legacy, and the option to go the AF route as well.
    Sony NEX-5n // Leica IIIf RDST // Sigma 19mm F2.8 // Voigtlander 21mm F4 // Nikon 28mm F2.8 AIS // Voigtlander 35mm F2.5 Color-Skopar // Leica 50mm F3.5 Elmar // Leica 90mm F4 Elmar

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by RalllyFan View Post
    I think Zeiss will have their hands full competing in the X-mount realm. Those Fuji primes are already very, very good. I bet they're banking on people choosing them for name recognition alone (which is funny since Cosina makes the majority of their products these days anyway).
    Yep, on the X-Mount it will be hard for Zeiss. I mean - if I could choose a good 35mm f/1.4 for 600 or a 32mm f/1.8 for 1000, I probably would know what to pick - IF the Zeiss lens isn't better by bounds and leaps (which is hard considering the quality of the Fuji lens). Same story with the 50mm macro vs the 60mm macro - only the 12mm might sell really well.

Considering this forum, and I imagine others like it, is filled with legacy glass, I'm surprised Sony doesn't make a real nice retro styled prime with an aperture ring and a GOOD focus ring (which stops at infinity), giving you the manual feel, better focusing feel of a legacy, and the option to go the AF route as well.
    I don't think this is possible. The E-Mount is completely electronic, it would make absolutely NO sense to actually couple a focus ring or to make a coupled aperture ring. And a uncoupled aperture ring? No thanks, that's wasted space.

But I think they're doing everything right. IF somebody wants legacy feel, there are plenty of legacy lenses as well as modern Leica and Voigtlander lenses that can be adapted easily.

Thanks
    Real Name
    Mike

Yep, on the X-Mount it will be hard for Zeiss. I mean - if I could choose a good 35mm f/1.4 for 600 or a 32mm f/1.8 for 1000, I probably would know what to pick - IF the Zeiss lens isn't better by bounds and leaps (which is hard considering the quality of the Fuji lens). Same story with the 50mm macro vs the 60mm macro - only the 12mm might sell really well.

I don't think this is possible. The E-Mount is completely electronic, it would make absolutely NO sense to actually couple a focus ring or to make a coupled aperture ring. And a uncoupled aperture ring? No thanks, that's wasted space.

But I think they're doing everything right. IF somebody wants legacy feel, there are plenty of legacy lenses as well as modern Leica and Voigtlander lenses that can be adapted easily.
    As a former owner of an RX1 and 12mm f2 Olympus lens I think having physical stops for manual focusing and/or a coupled aperture ring is really nice.