Ads by Google

B&H Photo

Thread: Teleconverters

Thanks

Teleconverters

Hi,
    I post here as I considered that a teleconverter, as I understood it, is more of an accessory rather a len.

Have you ever tried something like that at your nex?

2x Telekonverter für Sony Nex Micro Fourthirds 4/3 NX | eBay

If I understand it right this gives a 2x optical magnification.
    So if I understand it right my 1855 kit lens will be transformed to

18*2(magnification)*1.5(crop factor) - 55*2(magnification)*1.5(crop factor)

As the idea "looks" fun, any comments before I order one to try?

Regards
    Alex

Thanks

In general they're optically okay, but you'll loose AF and sometimes a stop of light (depending on the converter). Nice to have for the occasions where you need that bit of extra reach.

NEX-7 . Touit 2.8/12 . Sonnar T* E 1.8/24 . Touit 2.8/50M (pre-ordered)
    [Visit my portfolio] 500px Flickr 1x

Thanks

There are teleconverters that will give decent results with a very good lens, usually a prime lens. The one you show on ebay is not one of them. teleconverters usually come as a 1.4 or 2X magnification. You lose one stop of light with a 1.4 and two stops of light with a 2X. An 18-55 would not be considered a good enough lens to use a TC on even if it was a good TC which this is not. Losing two stops it would make your maximum aperture at 55mm somewhere in the neighborhood of f11- f16. The image in the viewfinder would be quite dark. You would most likely lose auto focus as well.
    Last edited by lowbone; January 31st, 2013 at 04:22 PM. Reason: typo

Thanks
    Real Name
    Brian

+1 what lowbone said. The one you found probably sits in front of lens on the filter thread, they are usually low quality. Don't buy those, waste of money.
    I've never heard of any AF Teleconverter for the e mount. MF Teleconverter works fine for MF lenses (especially primes). But used with AF lens, you lose aperture control.
    If you have a fast prime, you want 7 element teleconverter with the matching mount. For example, if you have Canon FD mount 50mm f1.4, you want TC with Canon FD mount. The TC sits between camera and lens.
    Sony NEX 5N * 2; Sony Alpha A7; Panasonic GH2/G3/GX1; Nikon D200/D600
    SEL1855, Σ19+30; Adapted lenses in Canon FD, C/Y, Konica AR, m42, Minolta SR, Nikon F, & Tamron Adaptall mounts

Thanks

Do you have any example for the 1855Kit lens or the SEL 50mm lenses?
    I would like to understand what you are talking about.
    Alex

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by alaios View Post
    Hi,
    I post here as I considered that a teleconverter, as I understood it, is more of an accessory rather a len.

Have you ever tried something like that at your nex?

2x Telekonverter für Sony Nex Micro Fourthirds 4/3 NX | eBay
    Big pile of wombat poo - don't buy those cheap teleconverters.

I got an Olympus x1.7 teleconvertor T-con 17 IS/L B-300 (same front filter screw on type) for less than the price of that no name brand one above and while I would only use it in a push ( I got it to take moon photos) it's okay given the price (£15).

I also got a Panagor macro teleconverter which gives 1.5:1 macro (one and half life size) and also works as a 3x teleconvertor. I got it for the macro not the tele and it only works with legacy lenses as it's Minolta MD fit and goes on the camera before the lens (like an extension tube). The tele images are okay (meh) the macro ones are much better but it's quite big and heavy especially once you add a lens to the end and the light loss makes it more of a tripod only job but it has no tripod mount. Only cost £5 though so worht it just for the fun factor of 1.5 macro.

There is a comparison of some Canon, Sony, Minolta and Olympus teleconverters here: Tele Converter Comparisons
    Last edited by applemint; February 1st, 2013 at 01:47 PM.