Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Real Name
    Michael Johansson

First try with focus stacking

Today I tried focus stacking for the first time ever. I downloaded a trial version of Zerene Stacker (home [Zerene Stacker]) yesterday. Today I took 11 pics with the NEX-7, LA-EA2 and Sony SAL 100mm/2,8 macro and a homemade focusing rail. Its not a very good pic but was made in a short time just to se if it works:
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Thanks
    Thanked 1,190 Times in 508 Posts
    Real Name
    Jim

Yep, that worked.

DeepFocus… Stack Attack! LOL I'm get a t-shirt made up that says that.
    lumen capere… because it's fleeting

Thanks
    Real Name
    Chad

Nice. I love focus stacking though I've only done it a handful of times. Works great though. I use PS to do mine.

Thanks
    Real Name
    Michael Johansson

Macro photography and focus stacking seem to be a very interesting field to explore. I am dreaming of a StackShot assembly but price is rather steep. With P&P, custom fees and VAT it will raise from $660 purchase price to about $950 when finally picked up at the post office.

Maybe it will be cheaper to buy an airline ticket and make a short holiday to the US and pick it up myself

Thanks
    Real Name
    Chad

sheesh...yeah, may very well be cheaper. I LOVE macro...that's kinda my thing I guess. I just hope this new NEX6 I got today does a decent job.

Thanks

I downloaded a free Lightroom plug-in called Enfuse (file size limit is removed by donating but otherwise the free version is a fully working version). Used it to blend 3 photos at 1 stop exposure differences (-1 0 +1) and it worked really well for that. Not tried focus stacking with it yet though - would /will be my first attempt at stacking too.

LR/Enfuse - Blend Multiple Exposures Together in Adobe Lightroom

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Johansson View Post
    Today I tried focus stacking for the first time ever. I downloaded a trial version of Zerene Stacker (home [Zerene Stacker]) yesterday. Today I took 11 pics with the NEX-7, LA-EA2 and Sony SAL 100mm/2,8 macro and a homemade focusing rail. Its not a very good pic but was made in a short time just to se if it works:
    Nice first try! Any chance we may see a picture of your homemade focusing rail?

Thanks
    Real Name
    Michael Johansson

Not much to see really. It is just the bottom part of a bellows with focusing rail. The bellows part is removed and replaced with a distance block and a ARCA clamp.

It is good for focusing and focus stacking of larger items where movement between shots are at least two millimetres or more. When it comes to very small items like bugs and 1:1 macros or larger magnifications it is useless as movement is less than one millimetre. It is ompossible to make such small adjustments with bellows focusing rail. StackShot is the way to go then or any manually micrometre operated linear table. But then we are talking €/£/$!

Thanks
    Real Name
    Michael Johansson

Here is a pic of my set up for the picture above.
    Name:  20130131-002_zps89e20639.jpg
Views: 704
Size:  96.1 KB

Thanks
    Real Name
    Chad

Too complicated for me. I just use a tripod and manually adjust the focus on my lens. Seems to get acceptable results....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast