Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Godox TT520

Thanks

Godox TT520

I got this flash today from mail. It is a manual flash (no TTL) but it's power is adjustable from 1/128 - 1:1 (7 stops) and guide number (iso 100, meters) 33. It works as a slave flash with the kit flash and with my C3 when using JJC hot shoe adapter (but live view is too dark, lets hope that Allacax flash trigger works). It is quite heavy and I am not so fond of flash on top of camera anyway. I will use it as slave flash until I will get the Allacax. I haven't tested the flash fully, I will put it into lightning stand and use umbrella next week. I think that it will provide enough light even if it's guide number is optimistic as Nex-C3 makes very nice pictures with ISO 400. Construction quality is ok outside but I don't know how well it is made inside. Price is something like 40 USD from Ebay.

It has a PC and external power sockets. External power socket is helpful it it takes high voltage as most of the heat generated comes from voltage step up system. External power packs cost probably much more than the flash. There is also a somewhat higher power unit, TT560.

These are very useful as slave flashes with TTL camera flash too. Put something like 5 meters away from the TTL flash and using small power and a softener they will even out light very nicely. There is quite much information about that (Google strobist). I will construct some kind of light weight for them (sheet music stand?).

I will probably get an another unit when I have more money (allacax, monopod, tripod, grip head, 5 lenses [latest was Vivitar Series 1 70-210/3.5 for 26.50 GBP] did take this and next month spending money).

Thanks
    Real Name
    It's not Orange!

Hi xXX1.

How are you finding this on-camera when bouncing/tilting. It's the kind of unit I'm looking for myself as its sooo cheap! Thanks
    Love Legacy - Love Peaking - Fallen back in love with photography!
    Canon FD 50mm f/1.8 - Canon FD 28mm f/2.8 - 16mm Pancake

Thanks

I tested the flash with shoot thru umbrella and it provides enough light (f:8, 200 ISO) from about 5 meters. That gives about guide number 20 (100 ISO) with umbrella that reduces light significantly (I would say that the advertized guide number 33 isn't very far). I don't need more power & seldom use flash without some kind of softener. These units may be powerful enough that they can work outside too (will work in darkness but how well they work for fill in flash in daylight is to be seen).

Slave worked quite nicely but didn't fire when I placed the flash in a corridor and fired camera with kit flash in another corridor having 90 degree angle. I am waiting for the Allacax units ... .

I asked from Godox about the external power socket but they haven't answered yet.

Thanks
    Real Name
    It's not Orange!

Ok cool thanks for the update. I have a question though as I'm a little confused. As this unit is not TTL, I'll just have to use it in manual. That's fine as I want to learn anyway.

BUT, as I have a NEX-6 which has a standard hotshoe, what unit should I buy?? Can I get any model, or would I have to buy the SONY compatible one plus the hotshoe adapter? Little confused & hope that question makes sense!!!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Orange View Post
    Hi xXX1.

How are you finding this on-camera when bouncing/tilting. It's the kind of unit I'm looking for myself as its sooo cheap! Thanks
    Works ok. It is quite heavy so will be clumsy. Head tilts & rotates quite much. Isn't very practical with C3 as with hot shoe adapter the live view is too dark for flash photography and the kit flash is quite ok for that. I send a suggestion to make smaller unit to Godox.

I don't mind using manual flash. TTL flashes are quite expensive and I think that there isn't even possibility with Nex to use several off camera TTL flashes.

I am thinking about some kind of very lightweight tripod for it. I found quite good idea from mflenses site to use a Ikea floor lamp as a base:
    TROGSTA Lattiavalaisin - IKEA

Thanks

Ok cool thanks for the update. I have a question though as I'm a little confused. As this unit is not TTL, I'll just have to use it in manual. That's fine as I want to learn anyway.

BUT, as I have a NEX-6 which has a standard hotshoe, what unit should I buy?? Can I get any model, or would I have to buy the SONY compatible one plus the hotshoe adapter? Little confused & hope that question makes sense!!!
    It seems that Nex-6 has got the standard hot shoe so it takes these manual flashes ok. That means generic remote flash triggers too.

Thanks
    Real Name
    It's not Orange!

I like your IKEA idea! EXCELLENT!
    Thanks for answering my questions much appreciated

Thanks

I like your IKEA idea! EXCELLENT!
    Thanks for answering my questions much appreciated
    I got that idea from mflenses forum. I need something like it. Not much weight and able to support manual flash in 1.5 m height.

I have this:
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/49cm-Reverse...item416eec0f68

A bit too heavy and don't fit my shoulder bag.

That scaled to 75% would be ideal.

Thanks
    Real Name
    It's not Orange!

Just bought the TT560 on eBay! Was only planning on the TT520 but this one was cheap (30) & in the UK, open boxed but new & unused. So we'll see how I get on with manual flash soon lol! Thanks for all your help today

Thanks

I think that about everybody benefits from a powerful manual flash. Even if you get a powerful TTL flash. For example off camera fill in flash outside demands quite much power and is quite nice technique. See this guide:

Strobist: Lighting 101

This is outdated in some respects but ideas are very valid.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast