Ads by Google

B&H Photo

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sigma 30/2.8

Thanks
    Real Name
    Kevin

Sigma 30/2.8

Mina arrived a few days ago and I took it out. A few things...attached to the 5n it doesn't feel any faster than attached to the C3 (I hoped it might be). The AF is unexceptional or perhaps "interesting" is a better way to put it. If you have a casual sort of approach to shooting with AF then you're good. If you want to to nail focus quickly and accurately then you might be disappointed. It close focuses nicely (I hadn't remembered it did that from my previous one) and has VERY nice IQ. It's sharp, nice bokeh and great color. If it were a MF lens I'd be talking it up all over the place. It locks focus pretty quickly in contrasty shots, not so much in low light. The touch to focus on the NEX5n makes it a lot more speedy to use but WTH...why doesn't it also fire the shutter? What an odd implementation of that kind of thing.

I like the lens and for $150 it's a great bargain. I think optically it's as good as my best MF lenses and if you're patient it's a rewarding lens to use. If the 16 is a s good I might pick on e of those up as well. They would make a nice little AF set for when you need AF and not break the bank.

A Boy and his...thing by dixeyk, on Flickr

This was shot in low light, hand held with the Sigma
    Last edited by dixeyk; November 9th, 2012 at 03:32 PM.

Thanks

Kevin I positively love this shot.
    I'll be receiving this same lens shortly. Don't know how much I'll actually use it though. I'm addicted to very wide apertures and not certain I can thrive on 2.8...

Thanks
    Real Name
    Kevin

Quote Originally Posted by nianys View Post
    Kevin I positively love this shot.
    I'll be receiving this same lens shortly. Don't know how much I'll actually use it though. I'm addicted to very wide apertures and not certain I can thrive on 2.8...
    I love my MF stuff but I find there are enough times when I want or need AF to make it worth it. I think of it as an alternative to using a point and shoot. As I recall it's also sharp wide open. It makes me think of what the Hex 40 would be like if it we're AF (because the Hex needs to be stopped down to 2.8 to be sharp). It's about the same size and build quality.

Word of caution though...the AF is leisurely at best.

Thanks

That's the glitch. Slow AF is what drove me to MF in the 1st place. I had first tried MF on m4/3 and found it difficult to achieve, and a real disadvantage compared to the super fast AF of the Lumix m4/3 cams.
    Then I bought NEX (5N) and the AF was actually slower than MF with peaking...
    I'll find out soon enough, will have the lens next week

Thanks
    Real Name
    Kevin

Quote Originally Posted by nianys View Post
    That's the glitch. Slow AF is what drove me to MF in the 1st place. I had first tried MF on m4/3 and found it difficult to achieve, and a real disadvantage compared to the super fast AF of the Lumix m4/3 cams.
    Then I bought NEX (5N) and the AF was actually slower than MF with peaking...
    I'll find out soon enough, will have the lens next week
    I think sometimes our expectations being dashed make things seems more of an issue than they really are. When I got my first "slower" lens (the Hex 24/2.8) I was sure I was going to hate it. I was also a huge fan of fast glass and all my compact RF cameras were equipped with fast lenses. Then I started to use the Hex 24 and loved the images. Everything has trade offs. The Sigma is that way. It's slow to AF (although I think that's the NEX's fault not the lens) and it's not fast but it's also going for about $150 used. I concur that if you get comfortable with MF it's probably faster to do that than rely on AF but there are some times when AF is convenient no matter how slow it is. I'm not sure I would have gotten that shot above in focus using focus peaking on the LCD in low light. The AF may be slow but in that instance it was faster than I would have been.
    Last edited by dixeyk; November 9th, 2012 at 06:08 PM.

Thanks
    Real Name
    Bill

I've been impressed by what I've seen from the Sigma, but I think that I'll await the Sony 35 in early next year. The OSS will be a welcome addition. Sony says they expect the quality to be similar to the Zeiss 24 -- great if they can do it.

Zeiss is also coming out with their own 32mm. I'm pretty sure Zeiss expects the quality to be higher than the Sigma or Sony. I know the price will be.

Spoilt for choice.
    NEX 6 & 7, Blog: www.billdanby.com

Thanks

I think the Sony's price point (around 400) will be higher than what I want to spend for such lens. Not even remotely considering the Zeiss... IF the Sony's AF is truly worthy, then I might buy it discounted somehow (used).

Thanks
    Real Name
    Colin

Quote Originally Posted by dixeyk View Post

Wonderful.
    NEX-7 • NEX 5n
    • SEL 18-55mm ƒ/3.5-5.6 1 black/1 silver • SEL 50mm ƒ/1.8 • SEL 55-210mm ƒ/4.5-6.3 • SEL 16mm ƒ/2.8 • VCL-EUC1 • SEL 35mm ƒ/1.8 • Sigma 19mm ƒ2.8
    • Vφigtlander Nokton Classic 40mm ƒ/1.4 MC
    • Nikkor 16mm ƒ2.8 fisheye • Nikkor 50mm ƒ1.4
    • Vivitar Series 1 70-210mm ƒ3.5 Macro (Kiron)
    • SMC Takumar 105mm ƒ2.8
    • Panagor 90mm ƒ2.8 Macro PMC
    ChangshaNotes

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ChangshaNotes View Post
    Wonderful.
    +1

Yes, it truly is. Just love this pic dixeyk...

Thanks
    Real Name
    Kevin

Quote Originally Posted by Dioptrick View Post
    +1

Yes, it truly is. Just love this pic dixeyk...
    Thanks...I think Harley (the chihuahua) was a bit annoyed by the attention unlike my other dog (a chihuahua/pug mix) that loves all form of piling on.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast