Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Real Name
    Amin

Rumor: 35mm Format Sony NEX Camera Coming Soon

As we've been discussing in the forum, SonyAlphaRumors published a rumor at their highest reliability rating that Sony will announce a 35mm format NEX camera in the near future. Subsequent leaks have clarified the original rumor a bit. Supposedly the next camera will use the same E mount as other NEX cameras but feature a 35mm format sensor instead of an APS-C sensor. However, current NEX lenses won't cover the full imaging circle, and Sony is apparently not planning to immediately introduce any new 35mm format E mount lenses that will cover the whole sensor.

Name:  819768.jpg
Views: 32165
Size:  5.2 KB
    Sony LA-EA2 adapter

Thus, with current NEX lenses, this will functionally be an APS-C camera, similar to "DX mode" on FX Nikon DSLRs. However, the camera will allow the use of virtually all adapted lenses for 35mm format, including Leica M mount and LTM lenses as well as a full range of manual focus SLR lenses. Furthermore, there will be an adapter similar to the LA-EA2 pictured above that will allow the autofocus use of a wide range of Sony A mount (Alpha DSLR/SLT) lenses with 35mm format coverage.

I think this is a winning strategy from Sony. Many enthusiasts will jump at the chance to buy a camera with the following characteristics:
    • 35mm format sensor (ideally the Nikon D800 sensor with tweaks to all better edge performance with wide angle rangefinder lenses)
    • "Rangefinder-style" body with integrated high quality EVF like the NEX-7
    • Focus peaking to aid in manual focusing

Meanwhile, the ability to use A mount lenses via adapter makes it a practical choice for those who prefer the M-mount lens approach most of the time but need AF some of the time. If the system is a success, and I'm confident it will be, then surely native autofocus E mount (NEX) lenses will follow.

Source: SAR
    Amin
    TalkEmount.com Webmaster (Help Forum | My Disclosures | My Flickriver | My G+ Profile)

You can help pay our server bills when you buy anything online: http://www.talkemount.com/showthread.php?t=7207

Thanks

Arrow

So it ***appears*** that Sony is really pushing its system's adaptability.
    What happens if Panasonic or Olympus creates a "peak focusing" capability for their Micro Four Thirds systems?

Need more native e-Mount lenses in the long run...body, after body IMHO isn't long-term sustainable.....
    Last edited by RT_Panther; August 19th, 2012 at 04:33 PM.

Thanks
    Real Name
    Amin

Quote Originally Posted by RT_Panther View Post
    So it ***appears*** that Sony is really pushing its system's adaptability.
    What happens if Panasonic or Olympus creates an "peak focusing" capability for their Micro Four Thirds systems?

Need more native e-Mount lenses in the long run...body, after body IMHO isn't long-term sustainable.....
    A 35mm sensor is going to make Sony the leading brand for adapted lenses, but I agree that more E mount lenses are needed to after the autofocus crowd.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
    Amin
    TalkEmount.com Webmaster (Help Forum | My Disclosures | My Flickriver | My G+ Profile)

You can help pay our server bills when you buy anything online: http://www.talkemount.com/showthread.php?t=7207

Thanks
    Real Name
    Kevin
    Quote Originally Posted by Amin Sabet View Post
    A 35mm sensor is going to make Sony the leading brand for adapted lenses, but I agree that more E mount lenses are needed to after the autofocus crowd.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
    I could see making themselves the adapted lens choice work for them. They already have a bit of that reputation with focus peaking. A 35mm sensor NEX would be a real nice alternative to a camera like the M9. Granted it doesn't have the red dot or say Leica on it but for someone wanting an old school MF experience that would literally have a bazillion options lens wise I can see it being a really seductive choice. The question is would that market be worthwhile? I know I'd be really interested in one.

Thanks
    Then there's the Fuji X-Pro1 with the Leica M adapter...(albeit not full-frame though).....

Interesting times these are....

Thanks
    Real Name
    Stephen Noel

I could not buy something like this, but I am glad, that Sony is not just resting on current development. May indicate a different approach to lenses in future. Could it possibly be, the reason Sony has been so slow, in bring out a full line of lenses?
    ​Steve

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by RT_Panther View Post
    What happens if Panasonic or Olympus creates a "peak focusing" capability for their Micro Four Thirds systems?
    If Sony has a patent on the very 'concept' of Focus Peaking itself, rather than just the way focus peaking is achieved... the patent will be hard to circumvent. A patent lasts 20 years if I'm not mistaken, so provided the feature remains clear of infringements and litigation challenges, Sony may have a strong head start advantage. I can't see Sony investing big bucks into full-sized sensor MF lens territory if they haven't got Focus Peaking sewn-up pretty tight. But, you never know...

Thanks
    Real Name
    Amin
    Quote Originally Posted by Dioptrick View Post
    If Sony has a patent on the very 'concept' of Focus Peaking itself, rather than just the way focus peaking is achieved... the patent will be hard to circumvent.
    The Panasonic AG-AF100 video camera uses focus peaking. So does the Ricoh GXR. Why Panasonic doesn't put it in the GH series is a real mystery. Maybe trying not to compete with their video cameras???
    Amin

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Amin Sabet View Post
    The Panasonic AG-AF100 video camera uses focus peaking. So does the Ricoh GXR. Why Panasonic doesn't put it in the GH series is a real mystery. Maybe trying not to compete with their video cameras???
    Interesting... I wonder if it has to do with legal restrictions, or just internal reasons within Panasonic.

Regarding the NEX E-bayonet, I think it might be big enough to handle a full sized sensor (only just though) and still retain the gold contact pins where they are. Legacy MF lenses therefore can still be used via the adaptors we already have - but restored to the original focal length without the x1.5 factor (yay). At the same time it can also accept current SEL lenses even if the image may not cover the 35mm format fully without some vignetting. Who knows... perhaps the circular projected image by the current crop of SEL lenses may already have enough leeway to handle it!

Lenses specific for the full size sensor however... would that be the current Sony DSLR lens line up + E adaptor?

Thanks
    I don't care if they never make another e-mount crop lens. I'm unimpressed with ASP-C for several reasons not worth getting into here.

But I agree with Amin. This is a killer strategy (if it's true, lol). I have been considering a used 5dii or D700, but heard about the rumored D600 or Canon response (these are rumored to be FF, but sub$2K and D7000/60D sized). But I didn't want to go back to no WYSIWYG EVF. If the PDAF adapter comes somehow with the ability to micro-adjust to handle the front/back focusing issues, then this is a rockin' strategy, and will drive alpha lens sales, IMO. NEX + Alpha adapter + alpha lens is big, for sure, but it's still smaller than a D700 or likely even a D600, plus it has EVF, and can collapse down to even smaller size, with e-mounts or with legacy glass on FF! I've tried MF of legacy glass on my former 5D. No thanks!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast