Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Real Name
    Amin

What Can Schneider-Kreuznach do for the Sony NEX System?

Some of you may know that Schneider-Kreuznach recently announced the development of a Super Angulon 14mm f/2 autofocus lens for Micro 4/3.

For those who aren't familiar with Schneider-Kreuznach, they are a nearly 100-year-old German company known for many innovative lens designs. While they have partnered with Samsung to allow Schneider-branded lenses on Samsung digital cameras, their new mirrorless lenses appear to be the "real deal", designed and manufactured by Schneider in Germany with a price tag to match.

Name:  7186818719_75bc1054f2_o.jpg
Views: 2294
Size:  24.9 KB
    According to the German site Photoscala (Google translation), Schneider is considering the development of a 30/1.4 and 60/2.4 macro for Micro 4/3. However, these focal lengths correspond to traditional focal length equivalents for APS-C (close to 50mm and 90mm) rather than Micro 4/3 (60mm and 120mm), suggesting the possibility that they are being designed for APS-C and adapted for use on Micro 4/3. If the same holds true for the 14mm Super Angulon, then NEX users may be in for a very high performance, fast, 21mm equivalent lens.

Sony already has the relationship with Zeiss, but the Schneider lenses seem to occupy a different level in terms of pricing. We can only hope that if Schneider makes lenses for Sony NEX, they will offer a level of performance commensurate with their price. Regardless, more lens choices for the Sony E mount can only be a good thing.
    Amin
    TalkEmount.com Webmaster (Help Forum | My Disclosures | My Flickriver | My G+ Profile)

You can help pay our server bills when you buy anything online: http://www.talkemount.com/showthread.php?t=7207

Thanks
    Real Name
    Paul
    I've got high hopes for Schneider's potential lenses. I've used a few of their large format lenses and they were absolutely fantastic. Will they only be MF though, as I've not heard of them doing autofocus in the past........not sure of this though as I assume the Samsung lenses are AF?

Anyway, personally I'd be more than happy for MF only lenses.
    Cheers,
    Paul

Thanks
    Real Name
    Amin

The Samsung lenses are AF but made by Samsung (in the case of small sensor cameras) or Pentax (in the case of DSLR lenses) and rebranded as Schneider. As far as I know, these Schneider lenses for mirrorless are the first autofocus lenses designed and produced by Schneider in Germany.
    Amin
    TalkEmount.com Webmaster (Help Forum | My Disclosures | My Flickriver | My G+ Profile)

You can help pay our server bills when you buy anything online: http://www.talkemount.com/showthread.php?t=7207

Thanks
    Real Name
    Paul
    Thanks Amin,
    I'll be very keen to see what they come up with as their reputation is second to none!
    Cheers,
    Paul

Thanks
    I won't object to any company that makes more AF lenses for the NEX E-mount. It's frustrating that I can count on three fingers the native lenses that I "really" like using with my NEX-3. I want more fast, quality primes to use with NEX cameras. As it stands now my NEX-3 only comes out from time to time ... and while there are things I like about that camera there are more things I find frustrating (not the least of which is limited selection of fast native primes with AF).

Thanks

I would be very interested in a 14mm f/2 lens for the NEX system!

But I'm not familiar with Schneider Kreuznach's pricing. What do you mean by "... but the Schneider lenses seem to occupy a different level in terms of pricing." - Does this mean they'll be much more expensive than the current 24mm Zeiss lens? Until now I thought the Zeiss is one of the most expensive APS-C lenses built today, so I don't expect it to be much more expensive.
    Visit my Flickr.

NEX-7 . Touit 2.8/12 . Sonnar T* E 1.8/24 . Touit 2.8/50M
    500px Flickr 1x

Thanks
    Real Name
    Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by Poki View Post
    I would be very interested in a 14mm f/2 lens for the NEX system!

But I'm not familiar with Schneider Kreuznach's pricing. What do you mean by "... but the Schneider lenses seem to occupy a different level in terms of pricing." - Does this mean they'll be much more expensive than the current 24mm Zeiss lens? Until now I thought the Zeiss is one of the most expensive APS-C lenses built today, so I don't expect it to be much more expensive.
    Hi Poki,
    Obviously, we'll have to see what they come up with but I'd guess they would try and compete with Zeiss in terms of price.
    Cheers,
    Paul

Thanks
    Real Name
    Amin
    According to Photoscala.de, the Schneider 14/2 will be priced under 1,500 EUR. This is not expensive compared to other high end lenses made in Germany, but it's more expensive than the Japan-made Zeiss lenses.
    Amin

Thanks
    Real Name
    Flame Grilled Chicken
    It may be expensive, but depending on the performance I believe there will always be a market for it. One of the criticisms for the e-mount Zeiss was it's price, but after countless user reviews praising it's performance there has been a good demand for it and it usually out of stock.

Thanks
    Real Name
    Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by Amin Sabet View Post
    According to Photoscala.de, the Schneider 14/2 will be priced under 1,500 EUR. This is not expensive compared to other high end lenses made in Germany, but it's more expensive than the Japan-made Zeiss lenses.
    Hi Amin,
    Have they confirmed that this lens will be available in E mount?
    Thanks,
    Paul

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast